Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Texicon <ke...@texicon.net> on 2014/04/15 15:54:35 UTC

Background color

Hello, to whom it may concern, I am wondering if there is a way to have the background permanently change when I click on a cell that has color.  This would then allow me to move to another cell and fill it with that color.

I know it is possible because Microsoft Excel does this.  This is a way to ensure that the colors you choose for the background are uniform.  It is causing me enough trouble that I am thinking of throwing my computer out the window and then driving over it until there are a million millon pieces.

Please let me know one way or the other,

Thank you

Re: Background color

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
Not sure from your description what you're trying to do but following may
work:

Select a cell with the background you want.  "Paste Special" -> "Format"
where you want the background color.  Your background will then be the same
as in the copied cell.  It doesn't change the color when you click on it
but it does result in uniform colors.

Re: Background color

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 15-4-2014 23:54, Texicon wrote:
> Hello, to whom it may concern, I am wondering if there is a way to have the background permanently change when I click on a cell that has color.  This would then allow me to move to another cell and fill it with that color.
How did that cell gets that color in the first place and what is the
condition you want to change the permanent background.

> I know it is possible because Microsoft Excel does this.
Microsoft does more strange things, does that mean that OpenOffice
should follow this?
> This is a way to ensure that the colors you choose for the background are uniform.
It is that easy to change the background for the whole sheet, but what
is the benefit other than saving you from trowing away your computer?
> It is causing me enough trouble that I am thinking of throwing my computer out the window and then driving over it until there are a million millon pieces.
>
> Please let me know one way or the other,
One way, I'm not aware of another.

Re: Background color

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 13:54:35 -0000, Texicon <ke...@texicon.net> wrote:

> Hello, to whom it may concern, I am wondering if there is a way to have the background permanently change when I click on a cell that has color.  This would then allow me to move to another cell and fill it with that color.

the 'format paintbrush' tool on the standard toolbar seems to be what you look for. just select the cell from which you want to copy background, double-click the 'format paintbrush' button and start selecting cells or cell ranges to which you want to copy background colour; press escape when done.

if you have no format paintbrush on the standard toolbar, then go to 'tools -> customise -> toolbars', choose 'standard' from the 'toolbar' drop-down list and place a tick against the format paintbrush in the 'commands' list. if it is already checked but nevertheless doesn't appear on the toolbar, then click on a thin button with a downward-pointing triangle on the right of the toolbar; hopefully, you will find the paintbrush in the drop-down list that appears.