Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Satyajit Banerjee <sa...@infoworks.io> on 2015/11/01 19:27:18 UTC

A few questions about apache ranger 0.5.0

Hi,

I am new to Apache Ranger and just started playing with its offerings. I am
using Ranger 0.5.0.2.3 that comes along with HDP 2.3.2.0. I have a few
questions as follows.

1. Is it possible to sync user simultaneously from LDAP and UNIX systems?
In the Ranger's settings page, it is a radio button and only one can be
enabled at a time.

2. Can I have regex in the for database / table names while creating a Hive
policy?

3. Does Ranger function properly with HDFS policy for folder name having
"." (dot) and "_" (underscore)?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Satyajit Banerjee

Re: A few questions about apache ranger 0.5.0

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Satyajit, thanks for looking into Ranger.

I will try to take the first shot in answering your questions and let others chime in with more details…

>1. Is it possible to sync user simultaneously from LDAP and UNIX systems? In the Ranger's settings page, it is a radio button and only one can be enabled at a time.
Ranger UserSync is a separate process. You could have 2 instances of user sync running and pull user/groups from different sources. You might have to use different hosts, unless you want to customize conf and log folders. Please note, Ranger user database is just a reflection of what you have configured in Hadoop. If you are going to have both LDAP and Unix, then you have to make sure Hadoop also understands it.

> Can I have regex in the for database / table names while creating a Hive policy?
Standard wild cards are supported. If you are looking more advances regex, then we can look into it or you can help us extend the current capabilities.

>3. Does Ranger function properly with HDFS policy for folder name having "." (dot) and "_" (underscore)?
So far, I have not seen any complaints. Best way would be to try it out and see if you face any issues.

Thanks

Bosco