Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by "Gregory M. Foreman" <gf...@spinnerconsulting.com> on 2022/05/02 14:56:23 UTC

zookeeper 3.5.9 / CVE-2021-44228

Hello:

Nifi 1.16.1 included upgrading to zookeeper 3.5.9, which uses log4j 1.2.17 (NIFI-9955).  My client currently has an external zookeeper 3.5.8 deployed, it uses log4j 1.2.17, and it has been flagged to upgrade due to the log4j CVE.  I originally thought that log4j 1.x versions were not affected, but I may have over-simplified the logic.  Ref: https://www.petefreitag.com/item/926.cfm <https://www.petefreitag.com/item/926.cfm> (no affiliation).  It appears that zookeeper 3.5.9 is going to EOL in June 2022.  Are there plans to upgrade to zookeeper 3.7.0 or later?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: zookeeper 3.5.9 / CVE-2021-44228

Posted by "Gregory M. Foreman" <gf...@spinnerconsulting.com>.
Shawn:

Thank you, we are going to migrate over to 3.8.0.

David:

Thank you for the detailed explanations.

Greg

Posted by David Handermann <ex...@apache.org>.
Greg,

Posted by Shawn Weeks <sw...@weeksconsulting.us>.
I’m running external Zookeeper 3.8.0 with NiFi 1.15 without issue because of the log4j findings and it installed over 3.6.3 just fine so in theory it should work.

Thanks
Shawn

On May 2, 2022, at 9:56 AM, Gregory M. Foreman <gf...@spinnerconsulting.com>> wrote:

Hello:

Nifi 1.16.1 included upgrading to zookeeper 3.5.9, which uses log4j 1.2.17 (NIFI-9955).  My client currently has an external zookeeper 3.5.8 deployed, it uses log4j 1.2.17, and it has been flagged to upgrade due to the log4j CVE.  I originally thought that log4j 1.x versions were not affected, but I may have over-simplified the logic.  Ref: https://www.petefreitag.com/item/926.cfm (no affiliation).  It appears that zookeeper 3.5.9 is going to EOL in June 2022.  Are there plans to upgrade to zookeeper 3.7.0 or later?

Thanks,
Greg