Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Scancella, John" <js...@loc.gov> on 2016/01/14 13:44:15 UTC

PDF versions

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if you support writing PDFs in the PDF/A-2a version/format? And if so, could you point me to the documentation on how to do so?

Thanks
John

Please note: All opinions expressed in this email are my own and not those of The Library Of Congress

Re: PDF versions

Posted by "Tory S. Anderson" <to...@byu.edu>.
The closest thing I'm aware of you've probaby seen already:

https://pdfbox.apache.org/1.8/cookbook/pdfacreation.html

--
Tory S. Anderson, Web Application Developer
BYU Office of Digital Humanities

Re: PDF versions

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 14.01.2016 um 13:44 schrieb Scancella, John:
> Can anyone tell me if you support writing PDFs in the PDF/A-2a version/format? And if so, could you point me to the documentation on how to do so?

PDF/A-2a is a subset of PDF. The PDF/A-2a specification is available
here for 158CHF:
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=50655

You can create PDF/A-2a files with PDFBox, no special API is needed,
i.e. you need to use the available API in the way required by the
PDF/A-2a specification. See the CreatePDFA.java for an example for
PDF/A-1b. For PDF/A-2a, you'll need to change the two
PDFAIdentificationSchema lines (this does not make it a PDF/A-2a file,
it just means that it claims it is one), and add the structural
information. For that, read also the PDF specification
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
. The PDFBox API is named similar to the items there. Unlike itext,
PDFBox is very low level, so you'll have to code more. You'd probably
want to use itext, unless you're really interested in learning this
"structure" stuff.

Tilman