Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/21 08:57:19 UTC

Precompiled headers

Yesterday I was asked whether the use of precompiled headers had any
benefit on the compilation speed.  I thought the answer would be yes but
I was not sure.  So I did some tests.  And the difference is huge.  I
compiled sw/ with

     make -sr -j8

on a i7 s2720 (2.2GHz), 8GB Ram laptop.
Without precompiled headers that takes a little over 19 minutes. With
precompiled headers that drops down to a little over 10 minutes.  That
is a reduction of almost 50%.

Maybe we should think to
a) make the --enable-pch configure switch the default and
b) remove the word "experimental" from its description.

Regards,
Andre

Re: Precompiled headers

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 21.01.2014 08:57, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Yesterday I was asked whether the use of precompiled headers had any
> benefit on the compilation speed.  I thought the answer would be yes but
> I was not sure.  So I did some tests.  And the difference is huge.  I
> compiled sw/ with
>
>      make -sr -j8
>
> on a i7 s2720 (2.2GHz), 8GB Ram laptop.
> Without precompiled headers that takes a little over 19 minutes. With
> precompiled headers that drops down to a little over 10 minutes.  That
> is a reduction of almost 50%.

I can confirm Andre's findings.
That is the reason why I had the precompiled headers enabled in all of
my AOO build environments which I use for development under Windows.

> Maybe we should think to
> a) make the --enable-pch configure switch the default and
+1

> b) remove the word "experimental" from its description.
+10

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Precompiled headers

Posted by Issac Goldstand <is...@volo-net.com>.
On 21/01/2014 13:56, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 21.01.2014 09:25, Issac Goldstand wrote:

>>> One important addition: precompiled headers are only supported on
>>> Windows (my experiment took place on Windows7).  I guess the other
>>> systems are fast enough without precompiled headers.
>>>
>> Also, I'm not an expert, but I think that there's a difference for
>> release artifacts whether or not you compile with PCH.  I know that the
>> chromium project, for example, recommends PCH for debug builds, but for
>> final releases, removing PCH is a big part of the optimizations...
>
> Good to know.  Do you have any pointers?
> -Andre

I don't :(.  I only remember having heard about the performance hit
once, but lack of Googled information on the subjects suggests that I
may be wrong/outdated.

About the chromium project, see this link
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/WindowsPrecompiledHeaders which
mentions the bit of gospel I mentioned above (by default for
non-official builds) without really explaining why the release build
doesn't use it by default.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,
  Issac

Re: Precompiled headers