Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tony Guadagno <to...@guadagno.org> on 2006/12/18 05:43:05 UTC

Yet another question about rewrite_header subject not working for me

Hi,
  I have been reading and I don't see my problem exactly.  This is my local.cf  I am using 3.1.7

rbl_timeout		15
fold_headers		1
report_contact		tonyg@guadagno.org
required_score		5
use_auto_whitelist		1
rewrite_header		Subject		**SPAM-(score: _SCORE_)**
skip_rbl_checks		0
report_safe		1
dns_available		yes
use_razor2		0
use_pyzor		0

# SURBL
uridnsbl_timeout		2
uridnsbl_max_domains		20

# Bayes

use_bayes		1
bayes_auto_learn		1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam		12.0
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam		2.0
bayes_auto_expire		1
bayes_learn_to_journal		0
bayes_expiry_max_db_size		150000
bayes_journal_max_size		102400

# Tests
score UNIQUE_WORDS 0

I have report_safe =1 and the rewrite_header set. from the docs "For the Subject header, this will be prepended to the original subject."  the problem i have is the string is not prepended to the original subject, it replaces it.  I have an example below.  Why?  What am I missing here?

rewritten subject
Subject: **SPAM-(score:20.1)**

original subject
Subject: High Quality Rolex Replica Watches!

If there is  a way for me to forward an example, please let me know and I will.  I tried and it was bounced back as spam .... lol

Re: Help! rewrite_header subject not working for me

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Tony Guadagno wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been reading and I don't see my problem exactly.  This is my local.cf  I am using 3.1.7  I have report_safe =1 and the rewrite_header set. from the docs "For the Subject header, this will be prepended to the original subject."  the problem i have is the string is not prepended to the original subject, it replaces it.  I have an example below.  Why?  What am I missing here?

I've never seen that behavior before, or anything remotely resembling it.

You've posted 3 times now, but never with any different information...

I'm taking some wild guesses here but:

1) How do you call spamassassin? do you use amavis, qmail-scanner,
mailscanner or the like? or just a call to spamc from procmail?

2) Does this happen to all spam, or just some? If some, have you looked
at the raw message to see if it contains two Subject: headers in the
original?

> If there is  a way for me to forward an example, please let me know and I will.  I tried and it was bounced back as spam .... lol

In this case, only the headers will matter, you should be able to
forward an example of just the headers without triggering any
substantial score. (The list kicks back at a fairly high score threshold..)

Odds are it's a URL in the body causing every SURBL in existence to
fire, while it doesn't matter here because you can leave the body out,
generally speaking you can post most spams if you mangle the URLs.

RE: Help! rewrite_header subject not working for me

Posted by Tony Guadagno <to...@guadagno.org>.
I guess i don't understand, you say that "Rewriting the subject is ultimately the responsibility of the MTA.", but SA has this option, so that means that it is SA's responsibility...right?

Tony Guadagno
Guadagno Consulting
tonyg@guadagno.org
585.703.6700

>>> Sietse van Zanen <si...@wizdom.nu> 12/19/2006 9:59:36 am >>>
Rewriting the subject is ultimately the responsibility of the MTA.

So, question is:
What MTA are you using and how does it link SA?

-Sietse