Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by slytheman <ci...@hotmail.com> on 2008/11/05 20:52:44 UTC

Tomcat Manager problem..

Hi there..

My tomcat was working perfectly and also my Tomcat manager..

Then I decide to switch from just 1 site to host (mine)  to virtual
hosting...

Everything works except my tomcat manager... when I type
http://domain.com/manager/html I get the

username and password box and I enter it and it won't let me pass further...

my server.xml is : ps. I changed my real domain to domain.com.

  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
  <Service name="Catalina">

        <!-- Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
    <Connector port="80"
               debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               disableUploadTimeout="true" />

                <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

      <!-- Define the default virtual host
           Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.
       -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
            timestamp="true"/>
      </Host>

	<Host name="www.domain.com" appBase="webapps/www.domain.com"
	unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
	<Alias>domain.com</Alias>
	directory="logs" prefix="www.domain_access." suffix=".log"
	pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
     </Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

</Server>

my website is in webapps which works...

in the Catalina folder I have

Catalina/localhost/manager.xml

Catalina/www.domain.com/manager.xml

manager.xml  :

<Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
         docBase="/opt/tomcat/webapps/manager">
</Context>

tomcat-users.xml :

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="admin" password="adminpassword" roles="admin,manager"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
</tomcat-users>

What AM I doing wrong???

RE: Tomcat Manager problem..

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: slytheman [mailto:citation_x11@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Manager problem..

Don't suppose you'd care to tell us your Tomcat version?  It makes a significant difference.

> <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
>       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>       xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>   <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>           directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
>           timestamp="true"/>

There is no <Logger> element in any recent version of Tomcat, but then, you didn't tell us what you're using.

> </Host>
> <Host name="www.domain.com" appBase="webapps/www.domain.com"

You must not nest one appBase within another - keep them entirely separate.

No, your webapps are stored in webapps for the default <Host>, and must be in a completely separate directory for the www.domain.com <Host>.

> in the Catalina folder I have
> Catalina/localhost/manager.xml
> Catalina/www.domain.com/manager.xml
> manager.xml  :
> <Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
>          docBase="/opt/tomcat/webapps/manager">
> </Context>

The path attribute is not allowed, again assuming you're running a 5.5 or 6.0 version of Tomcat.  Also, if the "webapps" directory in your docBase is the same as the default <Host> appBase directory, that's not allowed - it confuses the webapp deployment process by having such overlap.  The proper way to do this depends on what version of Tomcat you're using (which you didn't tell us).

> What AM I doing wrong???

Not telling us your Tomcat version.  Wouldn't hurt to include other environmental information, such as OS and JDK versions.

 - Chuck