Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Al DiVenuti <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/07 23:23:16 UTC

Clustering and session persistence across restarts?

Hello,

I am currently configuring a sandbox development environment with two
clustered Tomcat 6.0.32 instances running on the same Windows XP SP3
(32-bit) hosts.

I have a question regarding whether or not the "Manager"
implementations available for a Tomcat 6 Cluster (i.e. the "Delta Manager"
or the "Backup Manager") supports "Restart Persistence" for sessions that
enables the web application's session data to be serialized prior to
shutdown or application reload and then restored when the web application
is restarted as a result of the Tomcat restart or reloading of the web
application.

The availability of this behavior for the "Standard Manager" is documented
quite clearly at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html
.

This is a very useful feature.  My review of the Tomcat documentation at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/cluster-manager.html makes
no mention of that behavior being available for the "Delta Manager" or the
"Backup Manager" - but I want to be certain whether or not it is available.

I am happy to provide additional information if my question is not clear.

Many thanks!

-Al

Re: Clustering and session persistence across restarts?

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 7 Nov 2011, at 22:23, Al DiVenuti <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently configuring a sandbox development environment with two
> clustered Tomcat 6.0.32 instances running on the same Windows XP SP3
> (32-bit) hosts.
>
> I have a question regarding whether or not the "Manager"
> implementations available for a Tomcat 6 Cluster (i.e. the "Delta Manager"
> or the "Backup Manager") supports "Restart Persistence" for sessions that
> enables the web application's session data to be serialized prior to
> shutdown or application reload and then restored when the web application
> is restarted as a result of the Tomcat restart or reloading of the web
> application.
>
> The availability of this behavior for the "Standard Manager" is documented
> quite clearly at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html
> .
>
> This is a very useful feature.  My review of the Tomcat documentation at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/cluster-manager.html makes
> no mention of that behavior being available for the "Delta Manager" or the
> "Backup Manager" - but I want to be certain whether or not it is available.

Serialisation to file is not available in the cluster session managers.