Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Meder Bakirov <ba...@transfer.kg> on 2002/07/31 12:25:57 UTC

Realm reuse howto!

Hello mighty all!

I just wanted to ask: is it possible to reuse realms in my own jsps or
servlets?

I have configured form-based authentication, using JDBCRealm. I have a
login.jsp with necessary fields. After an authorization, can I reuse (e.g.
call them using getParameter() or by another way) j_username and j_password
fields in my own index.jsp (or other jsp files)?

Here is, what I want to do:

I have a SQL table users with columns (username, password, id). JDBCRealm
checks user in this table. So, when authorization is succesfull, I want to
get these values(username, password) and use them in my query (SELECT id FROM
users WHERE username='<j_username_value>' AND password='<j_password>') and
show some statistics info for that user, without reasking him to identify
himself again.

Thank you very much!

Rgrds.

Re: Realm reuse howto!

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
1.  Storing passwords in the database is considered bad form, consider
using a one way hash like MD5.
2.  Is the user name a unique key?  (I've seen systems that consider
using user / password as the unique key... and it's a feature!)
3.  If the answer to 2 is yes,  you can just do request.getRemoteUser()
 to retrieve the user (string that was entered) that is logged in (null
if no-one is).

Not exactly what you were looking for, but possibly close enough.

Re: Realm reuse howto!

Posted by Meder Bakirov <ba...@transfer.kg>.
Thank you very much! It worked, so now can make any queries!
Wohoo, Java Rules!

Re: Realm reuse howto!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Meder Bakirov wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:25:57 +0600
> From: Meder Bakirov <ba...@transfer.kg>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Realm reuse howto!
>
> Hello mighty all!
>
> I just wanted to ask: is it possible to reuse realms in my own jsps or
> servlets?
>
> I have configured form-based authentication, using JDBCRealm. I have a
> login.jsp with necessary fields. After an authorization, can I reuse (e.g.
> call them using getParameter() or by another way) j_username and j_password
> fields in my own index.jsp (or other jsp files)?
>
> Here is, what I want to do:
>
> I have a SQL table users with columns (username, password, id). JDBCRealm
> checks user in this table. So, when authorization is succesfull, I want to
> get these values(username, password) and use them in my query (SELECT id FROM
> users WHERE username='<j_username_value>' AND password='<j_password>') and
> show some statistics info for that user, without reasking him to identify
> himself again.
>
> Thank you very much!

Once a user has been authenticated (by requesting a protected URL), you
can call request.getRemoteUser() to get the username.  The password isn't
visible, however -- but you really shouldn't be building queries based on
it anyway.

> Rgrds.

Craig