Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/09/18 10:26:27 UTC

Re: obfuscate email addresses (Was: cvs commit: xml-forrest status.xml)

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> David Crossley dijo:
> > Another related issue is when people reply to the cvs commit log emails.
> > Some people forget to clean up the reply to remove email addresses and
> > other cruft.
>
> Yep. Thanks to point out this! I already saw this, but I forgot to mention
> about this. I think this is very interesting topic of dicussion around all
> the cocoon projects.
>
> From my own experience I am sure I started got SPAM because someone
> spamboted our maillists. I don't use this email address in other way,
> just in apache related maillists.

That is a big worry.

> Is posible to hack a little the maillist manager to ofuscate the
> body of the messages?

That would be nice, but probably not scalable. As you can imagine,
a massive amount of email passes through the Apache servers.
Anyway, that topic could be raised on some of the general mailing
lists. Perhaps there is a solution.

> Are other people in Apache concerned about the SPAM problem?

I am, and i have often heard it discussed on other Apache lists.

If you look back through the cocoon-dev archives there was a
well-received Vote about obfuscation. It has been partially done
for Cocoon.

The infrastructure<AT>apache team is actively addressing spam
to prevent it coming through to the mailing lists and the committer
accounts. However, that effort is not attempting to deal with the
source of the problem. That is up to us.

In fact i believe that it is a duty of Forrest to generate the
documentation in a way that minimises spam.

> I think this is a very important topic to raise to the admin of
> the whole ASF? What you think?

Definitely.

After Forrest gets its act together, it would be good to discuss
some solutions in a wider context.

--David

Re: obfuscate email addresses

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
There are some interesting recommendations and techniques described at:
http://www.neilgunton.com/spambot_trap/

--David