Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by LN <ln...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/12 16:37:09 UTC

FOP0.94 and FOP0.95beta use more memory than FOP0.20.5

Hi all,

I tested FOP-0.94, FOP-0.95beta and FOP-0.20.5 using pdfoutline.fo. I added
more fo:block(simple text) to the pdfoutline.fo file until the size of this
file is reached 7.74M. Both FOP-0.94 and FOP-0.95beta require at least 896M
heap size to run and produce 1580 pages PDF document. However, FOP-0.20.5
only require 64M to run. That's a huge different. I tested with Sun JDK1.4.2
and Sun JDK1.5_06.

FOP-Devepers: can you please look into the FOP process and see why new
re-design takes much more memory than old FOP-0.20.5.

Re: FOP0.94 and FOP0.95beta use more memory than FOP0.20.5

Posted by LN <ln...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Thanks a lot for your information.

Anyway, going from 64M heap size for FOP-0.20.5 to 896M for the new FOP-0.94
redesign is a huge different. Hopefully the FOP development team can improve
this memory usage in the coming release.

Thanks,
LN.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

Posted by LN <ln...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

I added multiple fo:blocks, each fo:block contains the same text (Exact
text: Rather than performing transformation with an XSLT before invoking
FOP, it is possible, if you use XT as your XSLT engine, to just call FOP and
have it call XT for you. To do this, run the class
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLine with the source XML file name, XSL file name
and PDF file name as arguments. You will need to include FOP, SAX, your SAX
Parser and XT in your classpath and so you might invoke).

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.