Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Craig Altenburg <cr...@mindwrap.com> on 2000/09/20 22:38:57 UTC

Using TagLibs in Tomcat

I'm having a problem with a custom tag lib.

In the JSP I have:

   <%@ taglib prefix = "oas"  uri = "http://www.optix.com/tld/oas" %>

In the web.xml file I have

    . . .
      <taglib>
        <taglib-uri>http://www.optix.com/tld/oas</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/OASTagLib.jar</taglib-location>
      </taglib>
    . . .

And I have "OASTagLib.jar" in the "WEB-INF/lib" directory with its
"taglib.tld" file in its "META-INF" directory.

When I try to run the page I get:

     Error: 500

     Location: /optix-web/Login2.jsp

     Internal Servlet Error:

     org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to open taglibrary
     http://www.optix.com/tld/oas : Parse Error in the tag library
     descriptor: Character conversion error: "Unconvertible UTF-8
     character beginning with 0xfe" (line number may be too low).

               at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.
                     handleDirective(JspParseEventListener.java:672)
    . . .

According to Sun's JSP 1.1 Errata - April 28th (rev a) this is how it shoud
be done; and, in fact, it works when I deploy in JRun.

Any suggestions?

--
Craig A.

Re: Using TagLibs in Tomcat

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Craig Altenburg wrote:

> I'm having a problem with a custom tag lib.
>
> In the JSP I have:
>
>    <%@ taglib prefix = "oas"  uri = "http://www.optix.com/tld/oas" %>
>
> In the web.xml file I have
>
>     . . .
>       <taglib>
>         <taglib-uri>http://www.optix.com/tld/oas</taglib-uri>
>         <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/OASTagLib.jar</taglib-location>
>       </taglib>
>     . . .
>
> And I have "OASTagLib.jar" in the "WEB-INF/lib" directory with its
> "taglib.tld" file in its "META-INF" directory.
>
> When I try to run the page I get:
>
>      Error: 500
>
>      Location: /optix-web/Login2.jsp
>
>      Internal Servlet Error:
>
>      org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to open taglibrary
>      http://www.optix.com/tld/oas : Parse Error in the tag library
>      descriptor: Character conversion error: "Unconvertible UTF-8
>      character beginning with 0xfe" (line number may be too low).
>
>                at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.
>                      handleDirective(JspParseEventListener.java:672)
>     . . .
>
> According to Sun's JSP 1.1 Errata - April 28th (rev a) this is how it shoud
> be done; and, in fact, it works when I deploy in JRun.
>
> Any suggestions?

Which version of Tomcat? It didn't work in 3.1, but I have a feeling it's
been fixed and should work in 3.2 Beta 4, or at least in the latest
nightly builds.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com

Re: Using TagLibs in Tomcat

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Craig Altenburg wrote:
> [...]

Oh, I forgot to mention that the work-around is to extract the TLD file
from the JAR file and use the path to the TLD as the "location" instead.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com