Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> on 2009/11/19 15:31:49 UTC

Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

What should the next version of Solr be?

- have a Solr 1.5 with a lucene 2.9.x
- have a Solr 1.5 with a lucene 3.x, with weaker back compat given all
of the removed lucene deprecations from 2.9->3.0
- have a Solr 2.0 with a lucene 3.x

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
Since Solr is dependent on Lucene I agree that there should be a major
version number bump in Solr whenever there is one in Lucene:

Solr 2.x with Lucene 3.x

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Gun to my head the ranking makes sense - but I don't think it has any
practical application. Plugin back compat is important and independnt
of the urls.

I think solrj back compat is important too - I can understand
experimental, but it's still important.

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com (mobile)

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Colin Hynes <co...@activema.com>.
On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:22 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Colin Hynes wrote:
>
>> Just to toss in my two cents...
>>
>> I'd have to agree with Hoss here. In terms of versioning, I see no
>> reason that a major version bump in a dependency should cause a
>> major version bump in Solr - unless said bump causes major changes.
>
> It's got some pretty big changes.
>
>> I haven't really looked at what's planned for Lucene 3.x yet, but
>> if there are some major api breaking changes coming, then perhaps
>> the next couple 1.x revisions should be taken to start cleaning up
>> and preparing for a major version bump. So, I would agree that,
>> unless there's a really compelling reason to switch to Lucene 3.x,
>> it might be best let a little dust settle on 2.9.
>

> I think we are going to want to support flexible indexing within a
> pretty reasonable time frame after it is available.  Also note,
> there are some fairly big Solr changes in the pipeline at this point:
> 1. Spatial support, which will change/add some significant general
> purpose capabilities to Solr.
> 2. Significant new distributed capabilities for both indexing and
> searching
> 3. And of course a fair number of other things.

Ah yes, this is definitely some major stuff.

> Agreed, though, on the fact that we should cleanup in prep for 2.x,
> so we may want to shoot for a 1.9 first.

Sounds like a plan. :D

-Colin

Active Media Architects, Inc.
World Class Design, Programming & Strategy - Since 1998
http://www.activema.com

1-888-392-4567 toll free
1-586-445-1000 local
1-586-445-2247 fax

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Colin Hynes wrote:

> Just to toss in my two cents...
>
> I'd have to agree with Hoss here. In terms of versioning, I see no reason that a major version bump in a dependency should cause a major version bump in Solr - unless said bump causes major changes.

It's got some pretty big changes.

> I haven't really looked at what's planned for Lucene 3.x yet, but if there are some major api breaking changes coming, then perhaps the next couple 1.x revisions should be taken to start cleaning up and preparing for a major version bump. So, I would agree that, unless there's a really compelling reason to switch to Lucene 3.x, it might be best let a little dust settle on 2.9.

I think we are going to want to support flexible indexing within a pretty reasonable time frame after it is available.  Also note, there are some fairly big Solr changes in the pipeline at this point:
1. Spatial support, which will change/add some significant general purpose capabilities to Solr.
2. Significant new distributed capabilities for both indexing and searching
3. And of course a fair number of other things.

Agreed, though, on the fact that we should cleanup in prep for 2.x, so we may want to shoot for a 1.9 first.

-Grant

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Colin Hynes <co...@activema.com>.
Just to toss in my two cents...

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Paul Borgermans <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Yonik Seeley
<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> What should the next version of Solr be?

> - have a Solr 1.5 with a lucene 2.9.x
> - have a Solr 1.5 with a lucene 3.x, with weaker back compat given all
> of the removed lucene deprecations from 2.9->3.0
> - have a Solr 2.0 with a lucene 3.x

IMHO, Solr 2.0 given the removed deprecations in Lucene 3.0 and the
typical mindset that major versions indicate BC breaks

This can then also be used to remove deprecated Solr bits as well

Just my €0.0.2

Paul

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Kay Kay <ka...@gmail.com>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>

>> What should the next version of Solr be?

>> - have a Solr 2.0 with a lucene 3.x
>>

> +1.  This gives us a chance to remove some deprecated stuff, too.

What would be the current development branch of Solr 2.0 , if that were
branched already that is ?

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Paul Borgermans <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is that a proposal to never leave 1.x :) I guess numbers do allow it ...
>
> Lance Norskog wrote:
>> In practical terms, calling a release 2.0 means it will never finish.
>> "One last feature! No, really!" happens with 1.x. A Solr 2.0 will be
>> killed by "Let's rewrite this!"
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect

Well, Solr 1.4 is is almost a 2.0 to me already, so a short leap to me ;)

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

goksron@gmail.com

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Colin Hynes <co...@activema.com>.
On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > What would a 1.9 release mean in solr?
> :
> : Dooh -- after hitting send, i realized it would just mean:
> : Whatever we would do for the next release, but say 'after this,
> old APIs won't
> : be supported'
>
> but even that is still a vague statement: are we talking about the
> internal/plugin Java APIs, or to the user/HTTP request APIs?
>
> this is why we've never tried to suggest that Solr has the same back
> compat policy/concerns as Lucene -- because changes in the Solr Java
> APIs
> aren't as big of a deal between versions as they are in Lucene -- it's
> changes in the user level API that we should be the most worried
> about,
> because 95% of the people using Solr don't give a shit about what
> the java
> internals look like.

In my experience software that has multiple APIs like Solr, will drop
support for old stuff from either or both depending on what they're
depreciating, so it would really just be dependent on what's getting
cut. Having said that, I do think the much larger concern is for the
user-facing API given that this is where the majority sit.

> like i said: i'd rather we just write the code we think we need to
> write,
> and change the code we think w need to change, and when we decide to
> release it, we should then ask ourselves "what name/number should we
> put
> on this release to convey how significant the changes are" ...
> becuase all
> the version number really is, is a marketing tool for conveying
> information to our users.
>
> -Hoss

The versioning could certainly be done on a release by release basis.
However, I would offer a word of caution about strange jumps in
version numbers, as this can just serve to confuse the user base
(someone mentioned this in a previous message that I can't find at the
moment).
As an example, take a look at many of the major software companies and
how badly they've handled versioning jumping between numbers, years,
code names, etcetera. Which brings me to it being used as a marketing
tool... It's likely these companies felt the same way, and imho
they've failed to do it effectively (this comes from years of speaking
to confused customers).
Versioning is really intended as a tool for identifying a particular
incarnation of an application and hinting at the level of changes.
While most users will not have the knowledge to really understand all
the details they do understand that 2.0 > 1.9 > 1.5 > 1.4 and that
each of these will have differences and that a jump in the first
number usually indicates significant changes.
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to think of them as only a
marketing tool.

Just some thoughts, take them as you will.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

> What would a 1.9 release mean in solr?

Dooh -- after hitting send, i realized it would just mean:
Whatever we would do for the next release, but say 'after this, old
APIs won't be supported'

ryan

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Guys,

The process should be as formal as the community dictates, but I can't help but make the observation that increments in version numbers that are strange to those with some knowledge of artifact versioning will only be stranger to those without (i.e., adopters/users of SOLR).

To me, to jump from 1.5 to 2.0 should include at least 5x the differences (improvements, bug fixes, new features, etc.) between SOLR 1.3 and 1.4, or better yet 6x the differences between 1.4 and 2.0. Is this going to be the case? If not, the 0.6 increment in version numbers is arbitrary (why not release the next SOLR as SOLR 10.0 then?). You could argue that if SOLR 2.0 includes a new major version of one of its principal components (Lucene-java), then this warrants those 6-fold differences. Or, if SOLR 2.0 is an entirely different branch of development and then I would expect to see if developed as such and then watch trunk development go on (1.5, 1.6, 1.7) as incremental improvements to 1.4 until the 2.0 branch is ready to be merged back into the 1.x trunk.

On the other hand, I've seen that SOLR is not Lucene and there is a strong sentiment in the SOLR community to that point, so if that's the case, shouldn't the release cycles (and versioning) be a bit more loosely coupled? Insulation is the key. For example with some of the GeoSOLR work going on, I know Grant is looking at how to implement code in SOLR land (e.g., CartesianTierFilter) that exist in Lucene contrib/spatial already, but perhaps SOLR has slightly different use cases or needs for this code, or improvements to make outside of the Lucene release cycle/process. This is just one example: I'm sure there's more.

I'm -1 for writing up a formal 50 page document on versioning and SOLR releases, but a few paragraphs and a formula for how to calculate releases on the SOLR wiki - that's probably going to be something valuable to the community, and more importantly, something that's needed to understand and guage the SOLR software product, so +1, and my encouragement, for that.

My 2 cents,
Chris

On 11/25/09 11:54 AM, "Ryan McKinley" <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 25, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > The point being: it's all been very informat up to now -- and
> that's
> : > probably for the best.  "policies" should evolve over time based
> on real
> : > world situations that come up, and we're still in the process of
> doing
> : > that.
> :
> : Agreed, but now that the elephant has been identified in the room,
> let's
> : come up with a policy then. What are your thoughts on my proposal
> (specified
> : earlier in this thread)?
>
> The elephant has been identified, and he's in the room, but he's in
> the
> far corner and he's not bothering anybody.
>
> my personal preference (at the moment) is to leave things undefined
> for
> now ... i'd rather see us get to a point where we say "whoa, here is
> an
> actaul in the flesh cross roads where it feels wrong to release w/o
> bumping the major version" and then to try and write down a policy
> ahead
> of time anticipating what that cross road is and how we we'll want
> to deal
> with it.
>
> if it's unspecified, it can be specified later when it actaully
> becomes an
> issue -- if it's specified, then people will feel like we are
> beholden to
> the specification, even if it doesn't wind up making as much sense in
> practice.
>
> (yonik: you're anarchist ways clearly rubbed off on me at apachecon)

I agree with keeping it informal (for now)

I agree with Mark that yes, we should do what we can to make the best
choices about changes that affect compatibility.  For sure.

The thing about the 1.5/1.9/2.0 question that makes me uncomfortable
is that it is applying the same 'official' rules from lucene to solr.
I am not sure how well that maps in practice.  What would a 1.9
release mean in solr?  (I don't really want an answer, I just don't
think it means the same thing in solr vs lucene)

Again, i have nothing against calling the next release 2.0 -- I just
think that 1.5 is also fine and keeps the door open for 2.0 to be a
more fundamental change in solr (that may or may not happen)

ryan

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Hoss,

> : regular trunk structure at some point down the road. What's the SOLR
> : versioning scheme by the way? Is it:
>
> that's part of the problem (and the reason why comments about the "back
> compat" commitments for Solr have come up in this thread) ... Solr is a
> young enough project that we've never made any "formal" specification of
> what it means to rev a major version, or for that matter if/when we might
> have a point release (ie: 1.4.1) ... and we've never really specified what
> it means for Solr to be backwards compatible ... we've done a pretty good
> job of making config syntax, schema declarations, and URL params backwards
> compatible, and whenever feasible we've tried to keep "plugin" APIs back
> compatible -- but we have (knowingly) broken them on occasion with the
> understanding that our first priority is "user level" back compatibility
> and performance, and that plugin writers are probably willing to put up
> with needing to make small code changes to upgrade if it means good
> performance wins.

Fair enough.

> that said: i (and i'm guressing several other people) would fight
> pretty hard against making major internal API chandes that would require
> plugin developers to rewrite serious chunks of code w/o doing a major
> version bump.

You can add me to that list :)

> The point being: it's all been very informat up to now -- and that's
> probably for the best.  "policies" should evolve over time based on real
> world situations that come up, and we're still in the process of doing
> that.

Agreed, but now that the elephant has been identified in the room, let's
come up with a policy then. What are your thoughts on my proposal (specified
earlier in this thread)?

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Yonik,

My personal experience with this is if you jump directly to 2.0, you'll have people wondering where 1.5, 1.6-->1.9 is in the CM system, and this would create some confusion unless it is documented well. This may warrant rethinking the tag structure a bit in SVN, or perhaps even the regular trunk structure at some point down the road. What's the SOLR versioning scheme by the way? Is it:

M.n

Where M is the major version #
Where n is the minor version #

In this type of scheme, all n's in a series are expected to be at least backwards compatible with n-1 through 0-9, but all M+1's aren't necessarily compatible with M or M-1. We've used this approach in Nutch and Tika land for a while and it's been pretty successful.

If this versioning scheme isn't documented somewhere, I'd be happy to throw up a page on the Wiki. Let me know and thanks. With the right documentation, the move from 1.4->2.0 will introduce less confusion, IMHO.

Cheers,
Chris