Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Olivier Rossel <ol...@anyware-tech.com> on 2002/02/27 11:13:44 UTC

Add-on for the "installing/index.html" of the C2 docs.

For Tomcat installation on Unix with no X11 and JRE1.3, the tip given is
to uncompress pja.jar
in a standard directory of the JRE, then add the proper $CATALINA_OPTS
in order to enable PJA.

This is annoying if you are a normal user, and wish to use tomcat from
your home directory, with the standard JRE of the machine.

I propose another tip that  is that only affects $CATALINA_OPTS.
It uses the -Xbootclasspath option of the JVM, in order to enable PJA.
This way, you can keep the pja.jar anywhere you want and only reference
it with -Xbootclasspath.

Here is the core of the tip:
--- cut here ---
I wonder if pja.jar could be shipped with Cocoon.
And the CATALINA_OPTS set this way:
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xbootclasspath/a:/path/to/pja.jar \
   -Dawt.toolkit=com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit \
   -Djava.awt.graphicsenv=com.eteks.java2d.PJAGraphicsEnvironment \
   -Djava.awt.fonts=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/fonts/"

I think the -Xbootclasspath/a option is important, so you can have
the pja.jar located anywhere (useful if you launch tomcat as a normal
user from you home directory).
--- cut here ---
It would be useful to add that to the help page about "Unix with no X11".