Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/04 17:32:53 UTC

Re: How to assemble servers: was: Re: Plugin installer in trunk broke?

On Sep 28, 2007, at 2:50 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think that we should approach the "assemble server from plugins"
> idea in stages:
>
> 1. build all the plugins inside the current server/trunk build
> framework and assemble the server from these.  This is almost
> working locally.... maybe this weekend.
>
> 2. distribute the sets of related plugins into a different svn
> layout with unconnected release cycles and figure out how to end up
> with a usable server with so many moving parts. :-)
>
> So in line with (1) I'd like to see the new console move ASAP,
> perhaps temporarily, into maybe server/trunk/plugins where we can
> immediately start including it in servers without having to solve (2).

Now that #1 above (assemblies created using plugins) is available in
trunk I can go ahead and move the new console under server/trunk/
plugins like David suggested as a transitional step towards #2
(plugins maintained and released separately from the server).    I
will go ahead and move the new console to that location for the
transitional phase unless there is strong support around going
straight for #2.

i.e. if someone wants to figure out how to build assemblies from
multiple moving parts in the 2.1 time frame then please chime in
before I "hard wire" the console and its various plugins into server/
trunk.

Best wishes,
Paul