Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com> on 2001/08/03 18:51:58 UTC

design question re: buckets

Hi.
one of the things our webserver does is check the validity of each file
before it's gets processed
by placing a checksum at the top of each page, and making sure the
checksum matches the page it is on.

(we have a shared NFS drive with the content, and another process writes
the files, we use this technique to
make sure we don't get a partially written file, but you could also use
it with a DB of 'known checksums' and compare them to what the page has
to make sure it has been hacked)

my question:

should I create my own bucket type for this, or just in a custom module ?

Re: design question re: buckets

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
On Friday 03 August 2001 09:51, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Hi.
> one of the things our webserver does is check the validity of each file
> before it's gets processed
> by placing a checksum at the top of each page, and making sure the
> checksum matches the page it is on.
>
> (we have a shared NFS drive with the content, and another process writes
> the files, we use this technique to
> make sure we don't get a partially written file, but you could also use
> it with a DB of 'known checksums' and compare them to what the page has
> to make sure it has been hacked)
>
> my question:
>
> should I create my own bucket type for this, or just in a custom module ?

Just a simple module.  You can easily represent the hash result as a string in a standard
bucket.

Ryan