Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/15 12:03:53 UTC

how do we address QuickStart and not asking users to do things laborious

Hi, all. I went to cleanup things mentioned by Ignasi in his last
review here: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fcc730ad01eb55293f7a174a3b5301f4a277b6222c7bb821d33faf2e@%3Cdev.zipkin.apache.org%3E

What is troubling is this one:

"Quickstart page should encourage using official releases instead of
master. It is good to have instructions for that, but instructions on
how to build official releases should come first, and using
snapshots/devel should be clear marked as non-official ASF releases."

I'm not sure what is meant by this. Our quickstart doesn't attempt to
do anything from master, as it takes from latest published maven
artifact. [1]

Ignasi, can you clarify what you meant? Definitely we want people to
not build on their own as this would lead to more custom servers which
are a terrible support burden.

-A

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-website/blob/master/quickstart.sh#L18

Re: how do we address QuickStart and not asking users to do things laborious

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@apache.org>.
closing this topic with https://github.com/apache/incubator-zipkin-website/issues/12

as far as I am concerned.. case closed here.

thanks, ignasi

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.