Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Todd W Lainhart <la...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/09/24 23:45:08 UTC

HttpClient v4.x deprecations

Is there a policy regarding when deprecated APIs are finally removed from
subsequent distributions?

E.G. If I find a field marked as @deprecated as of 4.2, when would I
expect it to get pulled, if at all?  Or is the policy not to expect any
further development (e.g. bug fixes) for deprecated API?  Perhaps a bit of
both?

I looked around on the HttpComponents wiki and didn't come across anything
covering this.

Also I'm recalling minimum JVM versions for HttpComponents being discussed
and polled.  Was it 1.6 or 1.7 that was decided upon for subsequent
releases (e.g. 4.4)?  Maybe the poll was for Android only?

Todd Lainhart
Rational software
IBM Corporation
550 King Street, Littleton, MA 01460-1250
1-978-899-4705
2-276-4705 (T/L)
lainhart@us.ibm.com

Re: HttpClient v4.x deprecations

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 17:45 -0400, Todd W Lainhart wrote:

> Also I'm recalling minimum JVM versions for HttpComponents being discussed
> and polled.  Was it 1.6 or 1.7 that was decided upon for subsequent
> releases (e.g. 4.4)?  Maybe the poll was for Android only?

HC 4.4 requires 1.6. The majority of respondents were in favor of
upgrading straight to 1.7, so 5.0 might be the right time to upgrade to
1.7.

Oleg

Re: HttpClient v4.x deprecations

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 16:52 -0600, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 3:45 PM, Todd W Lainhart wrote:
> > Is there a policy regarding when deprecated APIs are finally removed from
> > subsequent distributions?
> >
> > E.G. If I find a field marked as @deprecated as of 4.2, when would I
> > expect it to get pulled, if at all?  Or is the policy not to expect any
> > further development (e.g. bug fixes) for deprecated API?  Perhaps a bit of
> > both?
>
> I am curious about this as well, but I think I know at least part of the
> answer.  It's probably the same as Lucene/Solr, which is a fellow Apache
> project to HttpComponents.
>
> On Lucene/Solr, deprecations on one major release get removed from the
> next major release.  For Lucene/Solr, the first number in the version
> refers to the major release.  In real terms, things that are currently
> being deprecated in 4.x releases on that project will be completely
> removed from the 5.0 release, when it happens.
>
> If I'm right in my general assessment, this is an important question:
> Does the HttpComponents project consider 4.4 to be the next major
> release, or 5.0?

HC versioning scheme is fairly compatible with Semantic Versioning [1].
So, deprecated code cannot be removed until next major release, which is
5.0.

Oleg

[1] http://semver.org/

Re: HttpClient v4.x deprecations

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 9/24/2014 3:45 PM, Todd W Lainhart wrote:
> Is there a policy regarding when deprecated APIs are finally removed from
> subsequent distributions?
>
> E.G. If I find a field marked as @deprecated as of 4.2, when would I
> expect it to get pulled, if at all?  Or is the policy not to expect any
> further development (e.g. bug fixes) for deprecated API?  Perhaps a bit of
> both?

I am curious about this as well, but I think I know at least part of the
answer.  It's probably the same as Lucene/Solr, which is a fellow Apache
project to HttpComponents.

On Lucene/Solr, deprecations on one major release get removed from the
next major release.  For Lucene/Solr, the first number in the version
refers to the major release.  In real terms, things that are currently
being deprecated in 4.x releases on that project will be completely
removed from the 5.0 release, when it happens.

If I'm right in my general assessment, this is an important question:
Does the HttpComponents project consider 4.4 to be the next major
release, or 5.0?

Thanks,
Shawn