Posted to general@portals.apache.org by Vivek Kumar <fi...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/17 17:14:56 UTC

[VOTE] Release portals pom

Hi,

I have now prepared a new generic portals parent POM for use by all subproject within
Portals. I'd like to make a release of this parent POM so that we can start referring to
a non-SNAPSHOT version.

The release candidate (essentially just the pom.xml file) is available
for review in http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/portals/portals-pom/trunk/pom.xml?view=markup

Please vote on releasing this version 1.0 of the Portals-pom
POM. The vote is open for the next 72 hours.

    [ ] +1 for Release
    [ ] -1 Don't release, reason

Here's my +1.

Vivek Kumar

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
David Jencks wrote:
> -1
>

> I think the scm info is wrong. I'm also always reluctant to vote on
> something that is not the final artifact in its final location: in this
> case it would be a pom under portals-pom/tags with version 1.0.

I think Vivek did propose the vote on the current trunk version with the intend to have its logical content validated/verified, and not so
much from the formal release procedure POV,
But besides that, and I agree its better procedure to first create a release and then vote upon that, the scm info was not correct anyway as
it didn't point to the trunk either.

I just see you've already updated this, thanks!

> If you are using the release plugin (as implied by the use of the apache
> pom version 5) and the apache nexus for releases I'd expect the artifact
> for voting would be in a staging repo in nexus.
I'm not aware exactly how that works either, other than having seem some messages fly by recently for a Nexus Repo @ASF.
Like David Taylor, I'd appreciate it if you know of some pointers to current documentation how to release using Nexus nowadays?

> Also the indenting looks inconsistent in firefox -- mostly tabs but I
> think a few spaces.  Not enough for a -1 but if the scm info needs to be
> fixed fixing the indent should be easy.
>
> If I'm wrong about the scm info I'll happily withdraw the -1.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Thanks for monitoring David, that really is appreciated as is your help in fixing the poms.

Regards,

Ate

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:37 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> OK, although asking on maven irc will get you advice from people who
>>> have actually used it :-)  There's nexus staging info here:
>>> http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging.html
>>>
>>> I think it would be a good idea to also include a release profile
>>> that makes sure the source, javadoc, gpg and ianal plugins are run
>>> (the last checks all artifacts for apache required legal files).
>>>
>>> Should I just edit the poms or supply suggestions or patches?
>>>
>> Yes, please do. It would be great to see an example... thanks!
>
> Well, "yes" to a multiple choice is a little ambiguous...  I went ahead
> and updated the poms.
>
> portals-pom in rev 755415.  I changed the scm urls, added a release
> profile, added the plugins needed, and changed tabs to spaces.
>
> applications-pom in rev 755416.  I fixed the scm urls, tied down the
> plugin versions, removed a couple redundant bits inherited from the
> parent, and changed tabs to spaces.
>
> IIUC the decision to use the apache pom version 5 means that all portals
> snapshot and releases should get pushed to the apache nexus repo instead
> of the file based repos everyone has previously been using.  This is a
> Really Good Thing but may require all portals projects to base off the
> new portals-pom.  I think we need to ask the nexus/maven guys to move
> the existing releases and snapshots onto nexus.
I think I'm to blame for this :)
I suggested to Vivek just to take the latest apache pom as that seemed like a good idea...
While I completely trust your opinion on this, I really didn't expect this would force us to switch from the file based repos, which I am
familiar with, to this new nexus thing of which I don't know anything about yet, and AFAIK neither does Vivek.

I just hope we're not going to get into a lot of extra procedure or work which hasn't been fully straighted out or documented for the ASF...
If so, and even if this is a Really Good Thing as you say, maybe it would be advisable to switch (for now) back to the apache pom 4?

> Remaining questions/comments:
>
> 1. Note that a lot of plugins are now tied down in the portals-pom
> project to support the release profile.  I think this is a good idea but
> it is a big change.
>
> 2. I would not include the clean plugin configuration, eclipse plugin at
> all, the resource changes, and the website profile in the
> applications-pom at all.
+1 on all this.

> Since I don't know why they are there I didn't
> change them.
These are left-over configurations from "promoting" a standalone pom to a master pom, I think these configurations can be removed without
problem.

> 3. It might be good to move the other plugin versions to the portals-pom
> pom.  Not sure what a good policy would be here.
Will think a bit more on it but seems fine by me too.

> 4. including the rat plugin might be handy
+1

> 5. The release profile I added uses the ianal plugin.  This checks that
> every artifact including java, source, and javadoc jars has LICENSE and
> NOTICE files inside.  I find it a lot better than trying to do this by
> hand before a release
Great, I wasn't aware of that plugin. Seems like a good idea.

> 6.  I recommend using the maven-remote-resources plugin to install these
> legal files.  I included the config in the root pom pluginManagement but
> project poms still need to run the plugin.
>
> Are there projects that are using these poms already?
The first project to use (and thereby test) the new master poms as well as the release procedure for them is the
portals/applications/webapp-logging project.
That project (producing just one very small jar artifact) was copied/promoted from Jetspeed as its a simple but generic and useful component
and seemed ideal to test drive this.
I think (now) its project configuration might not yet be complete or correct however.

Regards,

Ate

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Mar 17, 2009, at 3:24 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:37 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> OK, although asking on maven irc will get you advice from people
>>> who have actually used it :-)  There's nexus staging info here:  http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging.html
>>>
>>> I think it would be a good idea to also include a release profile
>>> that makes sure the source, javadoc, gpg and ianal plugins are run
>>> (the last checks all artifacts for apache required legal files).
>>>
>>> Should I just edit the poms or supply suggestions or patches?
>>>
>> Yes, please do. It would be great to see an example... thanks!
>
> Well, "yes" to a multiple choice is a little ambiguous...  I went
> ahead and updated the poms.

Sorry, meant to say "yes, please edit the poms"

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:37 AM, David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:28 AM, David Jencks wrote:

>>> May I suggest that we work as a community here... what I mean is
>>> instead of statements like  "the proper release process is...."
>>> without pointing anyone at the process, could we simply try to
>>> help Vivek? This is the first release he is trying to cut. Perhaps
>>> sending some links to release procedure documentation for creating
>>> a "proper release" would be more constructive, or even
>>> volunteering to help.
>>> Both Carsten and DJ are experienced, respected and knowledgeable
>>> Apache members. I believe its your role to help the less
>>> experienced of us out with the "Apache way"
>>>
>>> Could someone point us at a document where these procedures are
>>> written out?
>>> DJ suggested using a Nexus repository. DJ, could you help Vivek
>>> and I with the pom and the nexus staging procedures?
>>
>> OK, although asking on maven irc will get you advice from people
>> who have actually used it :-)  There's nexus staging info here:  http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging.html
>>
>> I think it would be a good idea to also include a release profile
>> that makes sure the source, javadoc, gpg and ianal plugins are run
>> (the last checks all artifacts for apache required legal files).
>>
>> Should I just edit the poms or supply suggestions or patches?
>>
> Yes, please do. It would be great to see an example... thanks!

Well, "yes" to a multiple choice is a little ambiguous...  I went
ahead and updated the poms.

portals-pom in rev 755415.  I changed the scm urls, added a release
profile, added the plugins needed, and changed tabs to spaces.

applications-pom in rev 755416.  I fixed the scm urls, tied down the
plugin versions, removed a couple redundant bits inherited from the
parent, and changed tabs to spaces.

IIUC the decision to use the apache pom version 5 means that all
portals snapshot and releases should get pushed to the apache nexus
repo instead of the file based repos everyone has previously been
using.  This is a Really Good Thing but may require all portals
projects to base off the new portals-pom.  I think we need to ask the
nexus/maven guys to move the existing releases and snapshots onto nexus.

Remaining questions/comments:

1. Note that a lot of plugins are now tied down in the portals-pom
project to support the release profile.  I think this is a good idea
but it is a big change.

2. I would not include the clean plugin configuration, eclipse plugin
at all, the resource changes, and the website profile in the
applications-pom at all.  Since I don't know why they are there I
didn't change them.

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release portals pom

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I'm -1 as well and agree with David J.
The proper release process (even for a pom) is to first cut the
candidate on which is voted. Instead of first voting and then cutting
the candidate.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler