Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rogério Meneguelli Gatto <ga...@softdes.com.br> on 2000/11/13 21:34:12 UTC

Windows SMB paths in server.xml

Hello,

I've noticed a difference in behaviour in Tomcat 3.1, 3.2b7, and 4.0m4
regarding Windows SMB paths, like this one:

    <Context path="/ctx" docBase="\\machine\share\path"/>

I included this same element (paths are altered here for security) on all three
server.xml.  Tomcat 3.1 and 4.0m4 handle it fine, 3.2b7 gives a 404.  All three
instances are running on the same machine, under the same conditions:

- WinNT 4.0sp4
- JavaService 1.1.0 service wrapper
- Sun JDK 1.3.0

I'd love to be able to use this kind of setup, as it allows me to make those
services start automatically, when nobody is logged on.  Is it possible at all
to implement it for 3.2?  A simple test case shows me that, even in my 3.2
setup, I can use java.io.File to access that smb share, so it doesn't look like
a system problem, but rather the way tomcat 3.2 uses the docBase attribute.

Regards,
Rogério Gatto