Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2013/02/11 02:57:39 UTC

Mutiple dfs.data.dir vs RAID0

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding RAID0 performances vs multiple
dfs.data.dir entries.

Let's say I have 2 x 2TB drives.

I can configure them as 2 separate drives mounted on 2 folders and
assignes to hadoop using dfs.data.dir. Or I can mount the 2 drives
with RAID0 and assigned them as a single folder to dfs.data.dir.

With RAID0, the reads and writes are going to be spread over the 2
disks. This is significantly increasing the speed. But if I put 2
entries in dfs.data.dir, hadoop is going to spread over those 2
directories too, and at the end, ths results should the same, no?

Any experience/advice/results to share?

Thanks,

JM

Re: Mutiple dfs.data.dir vs RAID0

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.
Interesting question.  You'd probably need to benchmark to prove it out.

I'm not the exact details of how HDFS stripes data, but it should compare
pretty well to hardware RAID.

Conceptually, HDFS should be able to out perform a RAID solution, since
HDFS "knows" more about the data being written.  One of the benefits of
HDFS is being able to buy cheaper hardware and still getting good
performance.

We bought cheap DL165's for our datanodes.  4x 2TB Drives with no RAID.

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
@Michael:
I have done some tests between RAID0, 1, JBOD and LVM on another server.

Results are there:
http://www.spaggiari.org/index.php/hbase/hard-drives-performances
LVM and JBOD were close, that's why I talked about LVM, since it seems
to be pretty close to JBOD performance wyse and can be done on any
hardware even if the MB is not proposing any RAID/JBOD option.

@Chris:
I will have to test and see. Like what if I had a drive now to an
existing DataNode? Is it going to spread it's existing data over the 2
drives? Or are they going to grow the same speed?

I will add one drive to one server tomorrow and see the results...
Then I will run some performances tests and see...

Posted by Michael Katzenellenbogen <mi...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
jean-marc@spaggiari.org> wrote:

> thanks all for your feebacks.
>
> I have updated with hdfs config to add another dfs.data.dir entry and
> restarted the node. Hadoop is starting to use the entry, but is not
> spreading the existing data over the 2 directories.
>
> Let's say you have a 2TB disk on /hadoop1, almost full. If you add
> another 2TB disk on /hadoop2 and add it on dfs.data.dir, hadoop will
> start to write into /hadoop1 and /hadoop2, but /hadoop1 will stay
> almost full. It will not balance the already existing data over the 2
> directories.
>
> I have deleted all the content of /hadoop1 and /hadoop2 and restarted
> the node and now the data is spread over the 2. Just need to wait for
> the replication to complete.
>
> So what I will do instead is, I will add 2 x 2TB drives, mount them as
> raid0 then move the existing data into this drive and remove the
> reprious one. That way hadoop will see still one directory under
> /hadoop1 but it will be 4TB instead of 2TB...
>
> Is there anywhere where I can read about hadoop vs the different kind
> of physical data storage configuration? (Book, web, etc.)

"Hadoop Operations" by E. Sammer:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025085.do

Posted by Michael Katzenellenbogen <mi...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.
You can also rebalance the disk using the steps describe in the FAQ
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ#On_an_individual_data_node.2C_how_do_you_balance_the_blocks_on_the_disk.3F

Olivier

On 11 February 2013 15:54, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >>  Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a quick question regarding RAID0 performances vs multiple
> >> dfs.data.dir entries.
> >>
> >> Let's say I have 2 x 2TB drives.
> >>
> >> I can configure them as 2 separate drives mounted on 2 folders and
> >> assignes to hadoop using dfs.data.dir. Or I can mount the 2 drives
> >> with RAID0 and assigned them as a single folder to dfs.data.dir.
> >>
> >> With RAID0, the reads and writes are going to be spread over the 2
> >> disks. This is significantly increasing the speed. But if I put 2
> >> entries in dfs.data.dir, hadoop is going to spread over those 2
> >> directories too, and at the end, ths results should the same, no?
> >>
> >> Any experience/advice/results to share?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> JM
> >>

> >> --
> >> Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda,
> >> Product Manager && Data Scientist at UCI

Olivier Renault
Solution Engineer - Big Data - Hortonworks, Inc.
+44 7500 933 036
orenault@hortonworks.com
www.hortonworks.com
<http://hortonworks.com/products/hortonworks-sandbox/>