Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Xavier AMBROSIONI <xa...@st.com> on 2005/04/19 14:46:20 UTC

Why tomcat start and stop threads ?

Hi,

I'm running a home made application on tomcat 4.1.31 on a HP-UX 11i box
with the HotSpot JVM 1.4.2_02. I'm using a Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector.
The heap size of the tomcat process grows until it reachs the value I
set with the -Xmx parameter. At this point I have some
java.lang.OutOfMemory exception in my application.
Investigating that problem, I discovered that tomcat creates new http
thread and kill the older one continually. The number of http threads is
always between 5 and 10.
I think that my memory problem is related with that thread behavior.

On the same box I'm running another web application in a second tomcat
instance without that memory problem and tomcat does not create new http
thread. The number of simultaneous connections is equivalent on both
applications.

Is it possible to start tomcat in a debug mode to understand why it
create/kill http thread ?
Is is possible that my application crashes the http thread without
releasing the memory used by thesethread ?

Thank you for your help

Xavier