Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2011/07/13 03:49:00 UTC

SVN tutorial

I'll sign up for the basic SVN tutorial from Help Wanted if no one has yet.

Best regards,
Carl

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
I think you want svn diff. It will examine the repository.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

RE: SVN tutorial

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
Kay,

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
--- On Mon, 7/18/11, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > BTW - I have a TODO on
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
> for how to create a patch.
>
> OK, I have a question about this -- how to create a patch.
> Is it really just as simple as running a "diff" on the
> original vs the new? I used the diff process within eclipse
> when I submitted my "patch", and, even though I *thought* I
> had tracked down this information on the Apache site at one
> point, I couldn't find it again.

Yep, that's it.

I prefer unidiff format (diff -u) and when I touch more
than one file I use this (on UNIX):

diff -ruN dir.orig newdir > patch-mydiff.txt

On unix "man diff" is your friend:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=diff

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Dave,

On 07/12/2011 09:55 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>
>> I'll sign up for the basic SVN tutorial from Help Wanted if no one has yet.
>
> Great!
>
> BTW - I have a TODO on http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html for how to create a patch.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Thanks for the link.
Carl

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: SVN tutorial..really facinating watching your OS team...Open Source, but...

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Richard,

On Wednesday, 2011-07-20 06:45:34 -0700, Richard E. Breed IV wrote:

> ...a friend used my laptop, and I am getting tons of emails I
> do not understand

Lent the laptop and the mail account to a friend? Well..

> from a really smart & interesting group of folks...

thanks

> but, I need to unsubscribe and there's no such button at the
> bottom, can you help?

Send a mail from the affected mail account to
ooo-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org

and reply to the confirmation mail that will be sent to you.

  Eike

Re: SVN tutorial..really facinating watching your OS team...Open Source, but...

Posted by "Richard E. Breed IV" <wh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi there,

Watching an opensource team is too cool, but:

...a friend used my laptop, and I am getting tons of emails I
do not understand from a really smart & interesting group of
folks...but, I need to unsubscribe and there's no such button at the
bottom, can you help?

Thanks..chard

Richard Edwards Breed IV

Richard Edwards Breed IV

Posted by Carl Marcum <ca...@codebuilders.net>.
Kay,

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carl---

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Kay,

On 07/18/2011 05:21 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 07/18/2011 06:01 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> SNIP
>>
>> On the other hand, you should probably mention that alternative clients
>> (eg, tortoisesvn) exist. Some people don't like cmdline interfaces.
>
> IMO, we might be wise to "recommend" an alternate GUI client, perhaps
> Elipse with the subversion plugin since it's rather platform agnostic,
> and there's a reasonably good tutorial for it.

I think a listing or link would be good. I'm not sure about recommending
one over another. Since this was a Subversion Basics, that's the one I
went with. Personally I use the one in Netbeans since that's my current
IDE, but I'm not sure what I'll be using on this code yet. :-)

>> SNIP
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> <wayita> - windows: tortoisesvn, ankhsvn (visual studio .net) | cross
>> platform: workbench, svn-up, subclipse (eclipse), supervision,
>> subcommander, rapidsvn, jsvn, psvn.el, esvn, qsvn, eric3, kdesvn | OSX:
>> scplugin, SvnX | *nix: KDevelop | If you're learning svn, it's easier
>> for us to help you if you _don't_ use a GUI.
>> (this is our IRC bot)

Thanks,
Carl

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN tutorial

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Daniel,

On 07/18/2011 09:01 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> You probably don't want to reinvent the "How do I use the svn(1) cmdline
> client" wheel.  The svnbook and N other blogs and web sites already do
> that; pick one and run with it.  Erhm, link to it.

Since the task was to do a basic tutorial for this project, I didn't
think having only links to other sites would be appropriate, although I
tried to add those "for more information".

> On the other hand, you should probably mention that alternative clients
> (eg, tortoisesvn) exist.  Some people don't like cmdline interfaces.

I think this is a good idea. I was going to use the same link to a list
as the one here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#anon-svn
This is the link but it appears to have been removed.
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html
TODO

> Also may want to discuss the workflow, contrast it with hg, etc.

That will require some more study or help as I've not used it yet.

> Daniel
>

> <wayita>  - windows: tortoisesvn, ankhsvn (visual studio .net) | cross
> platform: workbench, svn-up, subclipse (eclipse), supervision,
> subcommander, rapidsvn, jsvn, psvn.el, esvn, qsvn, eric3, kdesvn | OSX:
> scplugin, SvnX | *nix: KDevelop | If you're learning svn, it's easier
> for us to help you if you _don't_ use a GUI.
> (this is our IRC bot)

Thanks,
Carl

Re: SVN tutorial