Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Haijiao <18...@163.com> on 2019/03/14 06:16:22 UTC

Any plan for 4.11 LTS extension ?

HI, Community

According to the LTS roadmap https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/LTS ,  current 4.11.x is supposed to reach EOL on Jul.1 this year.

Seems the next candidate of LTS is not available yet ( 4.13 ?) ,  do we have plan to extend the life of 4.11.x and at least promote another maintenance release with estimated date ?, e.g. 4.11.3 in Q2

Thanks !

Re: Any plan for 4.11 LTS extension ?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
That is written from the point of view of a developer.

 From someone who has no desire to ever see the code, let alone change
it, EOL has a big impact.
In a normal project, in the period prior to EOL, the developers commit
to fixing bugs and issuing security notices with resolutions.

Cloudstack will have a hard time gaining traction outside the companies
that develop it, if EOL has no meaning.

I worry that the lack of control over the roadmap and the apparent lack
of commitment to EOL means that, as good as Cloudstack may be, it is not
a system for production use unless the user is prepared to take on the
long-term maintenance at a moments notice and live with uncertainty
about future viability.

A bit harsh but the conversation about EOL is disturbing.

Ron

Posted by Jean-Francois Nadeau <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.
Hi Giles,

Re:RE: Any plan for 4.11 LTS extension ?

Posted by Haijiao <18...@163.com>.
Thanks Giles !

As user,  would be nice to see if we can have another release of 4.11 (say 4.11.3 ?)  to include recently merged critical fixes, e.g. usage service issue in a couple of weeks.

Most of 4.11 users may not upgrade their environment to 4.13 once it's released, which means we will stay on 4.11.x for another 3-6 months at least.   Another 4.11 LTS release will give users more confidence and prove the value of LTS.

Just my 2 cents.

在2019年03月14 17时48分, "Giles Sirett"<gi...@shapeblue.com>写道:

Hi Haijiao

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
Yes. This seems right to me.

The LTS release was introduced for exactly the purpose of giving
organizations with production deployments a predictable and stable path for
upgrades. There has to be a reasonably sized window for adoption of the new
LTS release before the previous one can be abandoned.

I think what Rene posted is a good guide. If we have other documentation
which specifies specific dates (which may be outdated), we may want to go
through and update to inspire more confidence in the LTS versions and the
expected upgrade path/window.

Cheers,

Will

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.