Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/24 19:16:29 UTC

Skywalking scope

Hi,

I was looking at Skywalking as a project focused exclusively on building a
tracing agent with support for both Java bytecode instrumentation and
OpenTracing and perhaps some other forms of instrumentation. However,
browsing through GitHub issues I see references to things like alerts and
to API for retrieving traces and perhaps other data. Then there is also the
UI. And this means there must be a notion of users, passwords,
authentication, alert rules and so on. So Skywalking is not really just an
agent but either already is or aims to be a full APM/transaction tracing
solution?

Is there some page or doc or email or anything that describes everything
that Skywalking is today and it’s roadmap?

Also, I am wondering if Skywalking is designed in a way that lets one use
just the tracing agent without everything else?

Thanks,
Otis