Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Kainth, Sachin" <Sa...@atkinsglobal.com> on 2007/02/09 16:08:00 UTC

Lucene Web Service

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a .NET version of Lucene Web Service?

Cheers

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.  Registered in England No. 1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.

RE: Lucene Web Service

Posted by Graham Stead <gs...@ieee.org>.
Solr provides an XML interface to everything: index adds, deletes, updates,
searches, highlights, explanations, facets, commits, and optimize
statements. I'm sure I've forgotten some :)

It also supports JSON, as well as some other formats, if you prefer that.
The Solr wiki explains how it works.

Yes, Solr uses Lucene, although that detail is abstracted away from your
application. If for some reason you must use dotLucene, then Solr will not
be helpful. If you want web service access to Lucene and/or Lucene indexes,
Solr is very helpful (in addition to providing caching and faceted search
features not found in Lucene).

HTH,
-Graham

RE: Lucene Web Service