Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/04/17 00:38:21 UTC

ACTION NEEDED: Hadoop 0.17 Release Notes

Hadoop Developers,

As you know, we've added a release note field in Jira from which we
can build a reasonable set of user facing release notes.  Candidates
for release notes are:
  - incompatibilities
  - features
  - major or critical improvements
  - major or critical bug fixes
Of the 207+ issues fixed in Hadoop 0.17, we have 68+ issues that fall
into the first 3 categories above.  Of those 68, only 12 have release
notes filled in.  Of those 12, only 2 are written in a user facing
way (ie. no additional knowledge of the issue needed, described the
impact, etc.)

IMHO, these 2 issues have exemplary release notes which I suggest you
read:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1986
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2410

Can assignee's of 0.17 issues please backfill (or fix existing)
release notes for their issues before we start a vote on 0.17 (next
week or two I hope)?

Thanks,
Nige

Re: ACTION NEEDED: Hadoop 0.17 Release Notes

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Apr 17, 2008, at 2:23 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>> Hadoop Developers,
>> As you know, we've added a release note field in Jira from which
>> we can build a reasonable set of user facing release notes.
>> Candidates for release notes are:
>>  - incompatibilities
>>  - features
>>  - major or critical improvements
>>  - major or critical bug fixes
>> Of the 207+ issues fixed in Hadoop 0.17, we have 68+ issues that
>> fall into the first 3 categories above.  Of those 68, only 12 have
>> release notes filled in.  Of those 12, only 2 are written in a
>> user facing way (ie. no additional knowledge of the issue needed,
>> described the impact, etc.)
>
> Interesting. In the SmartFrog JIRA we have a compatibility field
> which gives a list of options as to how a change breaks
> compatibility: none/unknown/new feature/incompatible at source/
> incompatible at deployment descriptor/breaks builds & tests
>
> with a scale of incompatibility you can present the changes in a
> way that matters to end users (i.e. list the ones that are
> incompatible first) rather than just the major/minor levels which
> are just a metric of how important the team thought the change was.
> Having that and release notes would be very good.

Very interesting.

> How do you get the release notes from jira? Is that automated?

It will be automated.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: ACTION NEEDED: Hadoop 0.17 Release Notes

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Nigel Daley wrote:
> But how do you get around the noise?  User's don't want to be presented
> with every little doc/test/bug/improvement.  But there are some
> significant improvements and bug fixes they need to know about.  The
> CHANGES.txt can't address that IMO.

Can't we put a section at the top for "significant" changes?

> Umm, I was planning to build the release note doc and check it into the
> release.

Okay.  I guess that works.  Then folks can review it to see that all
"significant" changes are included.  But it seems like it might be
easier to build this in subversion as the changes accrue.

Couldn't you draft this now, with placeholders for all the issues that
you think are significant, then ask folks to help fill it in in
subversion?  You could even put it at the top of CHANGES.txt!

Anyway, I'll shut up again.

Doug

Re: ACTION NEEDED: Hadoop 0.17 Release Notes

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Apr 16, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>> As you know, we've added a release note field in Jira from which
>> we can build a reasonable set of user facing release notes.
>
> I always thought that the message in CHANGES.txt should be written
> for end-users.  Isn't that the case?  If so, shouldn't we strive to
> improve & better structure these instead or in addition?
>
> I guess I'm still unclear on the difference between these.

We've discussed all this before when the new fields were proposed.

> There are now three places where we include summary descriptions of
> changes:
>
> 1. The commit message.  This should usually be minimal, enough to
> jog the memory, and always with a reference to the JIRA issue, but
> it does not need to be sufficient for end users.

This is written by the committer.

> 2. CHANGES.txt.  We include one message per JIRA issue here,
> organized into sections.  These are meant to be user-readable.
> When combined with updates to documentation (javadoc & forrest),
> they should be sufficient for end users to understand how a change
> will affect them.

These are almost always written by the committer (who may not have
been the submitter or reviewer on the issue).  They are written for
*every* issue (ie all 207+ in Hadoop 0.17) and rarely (ever?) explain
the user impact

> 3. Jira release notes.  See (2), above.

I assume by Jira release notes you mean the ones generated by Jira
already.  These are simply a link to each issue (all 207+) and the
summary line from the issue.  The summary line is frequently
unrelated to actual fix and user impact.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Nigel Daley wrote:
> As you know, we've added a release note field in Jira from which we can
> build a reasonable set of user facing release notes.

I always thought that the message in CHANGES.txt should be written for
end-users.  Isn't that the case?  If so, shouldn't we strive to improve
& better structure these instead or in addition?

I guess I'm still unclear on the difference between these.  There are
now three places where we include summary descriptions of changes:

1. The commit message.  This should usually be minimal, enough to jog
the memory, and always with a reference to the JIRA issue, but it does
not need to be sufficient for end users.

2. CHANGES.txt.  We include one message per JIRA issue here, organized
into sections.  These are meant to be user-readable.  When combined with
updates to documentation (javadoc & forrest), they should be sufficient
for end users to understand how a change will affect them.

3. Jira release notes.  See (2), above.

Is that right?  Or is there some critical difference between (2) and
(3)?  Or do you expect (2) to be more like (1)?

Doug

Re: ACTION NEEDED: Hadoop 0.17 Release Notes

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Some more thoughts on this...

Keep in mind when writing the release notes that the text from each
release note field will be concatenated together to form a document.
In general, a release note should state (using past verb tense) what
changed in this release and then what actions (if any) the user must
take.

An example of a release note that needs some rework:
   "Decreases the frequency of logging from streaming from every 100
records to every 10,000 records."
could be better stated as:
   "The frequency of logging in Hadoop streaming was decreased from
every 100 records to every 10,000 records."

Another example:
   "Changes the signature of UTF8ByteArrayUtils.readLIne(InputStream)
to UTF8ByteArrayUtils.readLIne(LineReader, Text)"
could be better stated as:
   "The signature of the public
org.apache.hadoop.streaming.UTF8ByteArrayUtils.readLIne(InputStream)
method was changed to UTF8ByteArrayUtils.readLIne(LineReader, Text).
Since the old signature was not deprecated, any code using the old
method must be changed to use the new method."

Nige