Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2014/02/21 23:26:34 UTC

Time line for 5.0; was Re: Publicising methods in a GA release

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 15:54 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Why not move trunk to 5.0 instead of 4.4 so we can drop all this deprecated
> code?

Major releases tend to be very disruptive. They are supposed to be. We
should consider doing 5.0 after 4.4 and taking it as an opportunity to
introduce some major features such as HTTP/2.0 support. However,
speaking from 4.0 experience it may take years to complete.

I would not do a major release just to drop deprecated code.

Oleg

Re: Time line for 5.0; was Re: Publicising methods in a GA release

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 23:13 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 21 February 2014 23:05, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> deprecated
> >> >

> >> Major releases tend to be very disruptive. They are supposed to be. We
> >> should consider doing 5.0 after 4.4 and taking it as an opportunity to
> >> introduce some major features such as HTTP/2.0 support. However,
> >> speaking from 4.0 experience it may take years to complete.
> >>
> >> I would not do a major release just to drop deprecated code.
>
> +1.
> We should not cause unnecessary grief for end-users.
>

> > Perhaps, but you could start there, release early release often. 5.0 could
> > drop code, 5.1 could start adding features.
>
> Release early release often (RERO) does not make it easier for end-users.
>
> RERO may work well if the API is not being changed - i.e. only fixing bugs
> However the "release early" mantra often means that the API is
> half-baked - and then cannot be changed without causing grief to
> end-users

+1

This is precisely the problem. RERO works well as long as the APIs are
either very stable or do not need to be stable.

Once 5.0 APIs are frozen it will be quite difficult to introduce big
changes in 5.1. Let's keep 4.x line going for one or two more feature
releases and then consider doing 5.0.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com