Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/10/12 20:59:04 UTC

[VOTE] Drop Gelly

Hi everyone,

I would like to open a vote for dropping Gelly, which was discussed a long
time ago but never put to a vote [1].

Voting will be open for at least 72 hours.

Best regards,

Martijn
https://twitter.com/MartijnVisser82
https://github.com/MartijnVisser

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/2m6wtgjvxcogbf9d5q7mqt4ofqjf2ojc

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

The vote has passed already, as you can see in the result thread [1]

Regarding mentioning continued support of graph processing, feel free to
comment on the open PR on flink-web [2] on this.

Thanks,

Martijn

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/ng5t85t1lnmzrld4vvlk0mglq3fcgj50
[2] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/577

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by David Anderson <da...@alpinegizmo.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.
 +1 for dropping Gelly as a prerequisite for dropping deprecated DataSet API.

Apart from asking contributors to join the flink-ML development, I'm not sure whether some old repo [1], which is already based on Flink's DataStream API, also wants to join the migration guide.

cc @Vasia

[1] https://github.com/vasia/gelly-streaming

Best
Yun Tang

________________________________
Posted by Sergey Nuyanzin <sn...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

From:Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2022 Oct. 16 (Sun.) 18:30
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Yun Gao <yu...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,
For the successor of the Gelly library, currently in flink-ml we have already
implemented a new iteration framework based on the DataStream API,
which is necessary for a graph processing framework. It could also provide
abilities like allowing for arbitrary states across rounds and asynchronous
iteration that could help implementing more effective graph algorithms.
Thus it looks to me that now we are ready to have a design of the new graph
processing framework based on the unified DataStream API and
replace the Gelly library built on the deprecated DataSet API.
Best,
Yun Gao
[1] https://github.com/apache/flink-ml <https://github.com/apache/flink-ml >
From:Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>
Send Time:2022 Oct. 13 (Thu.) 15:52
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
Hi Yu,
The vote is for option 1, remove all code and documentation of Gelly. For
the current users, they can stay on a previous version of Flink which still
contains Gelly. Since Gelly (and the DataSet API) haven't been touched in
multiple releases, there's most likely no need for them to upgrade anyway.
The source code is still available for previous versions, so moving it to
an external repository doesn't seem to add value.
I'm all for it if someone wants to drive a successor: that could be either
done under the ASF Flink umbrella (then I'm looking forwarding to a FLIP)
or of course as their own initiative under flink-extended.
Thanks,
Martijn

Re: [VOTE] Drop Gelly

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.