Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by huntc <hu...@mac.com> on 2008/10/29 13:03:41 UTC

Deploying Spring applications in Geronimo - State of the nation

Hi there,

I am now at the stage where I would like to deploy my Apache Camel/Spring
based application and I am also excited at the prospect of using Geronimo.
The application presently manifests itself as a JAR file with a main entry
point passing control to a spring application context.

I am finding it very difficult to understand what the status of being able
to deploy Spring based applications in Geronimo is. It appears that this
cannot be done unless you roll your own GBean. Is this the case?

If someone could reply with the state of the nation on being able to deploy
Spring applications then that would be very useful.

I look forward to being able to use Geronimo. Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Christopher

Re: Deploying Spring applications in Geronimo - State of the nation

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 29, 2008, at 5:03 AM, huntc wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am now at the stage where I would like to deploy my Apache Camel/
> Spring
> based application and I am also excited at the prospect of using
> Geronimo.
> The application presently manifests itself as a JAR file with a main
> entry
> point passing control to a spring application context.
>
> I am finding it very difficult to understand what the status of
> being able
> to deploy Spring based applications in Geronimo is. It appears that
> this
> cannot be done unless you roll your own GBean. Is this the case?

That's correct.
It would be pretty easy to write a generic spring application gbean
but AFAIK no one has done it.  In fact we could write a spring
deployer that recognized spring apps and set up the gbean for you.

My assumption in the past has been that usually you'll want to do a
little extra work to connect your spring app to the geronimo
environment and so I haven't pursued this.  Two examples of spring
apps are the directory and james plugins (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/
).

I'd advise following the model of these plugins and having (using
maven):
- a java project for the gbean
- a plugin project that builds a geronimo plugin that contains the
gbean and pulls in all your dependencies
- a custom server project that assembles a server including your
plugin and whatever else you want for testing.

thanks
david jencks