Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by nnprasad <NN...@dwd.IN.gov> on 2011/04/04 18:57:11 UTC

ActiveMQ Memory Usage is going up when there is no activity

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n3426037/ActiveMQMemory.jpg
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n3426037/AMQ-Heap-GC.jpg
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n3426037/AMQ-OutofMemory.jpg
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n3426037/AMQ-GC.ppt AMQ-GC.ppt
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n3426037/activemq.xml
activemq.xml

I could not understand Why ActiveMQ is consuming and increasing its Memory
usage, when there is no activity on queues.

It seems no GC thread running in ActiveMQ, because when ever I am running
Perform GC in JConsole the graph drops down immediately.

Please look into attachments, in ActiveMQMemory.JPG file please observe the
vertical straight line of memory usage WHEN THERE IS NO ACTIVITY ON QUEUES
i.e no producer or consumer are working, though there are some persisted
messages were there.

Environment: ActiveMQ 5.2.0 / Windows 2003 server / Oracle 10g / TCP
openwire / JVM 512 MB.

Please look into attachment / Please Help Me.

Thank You,
Nag.

RE: ActiveMQ Memory Usage is going up when there is no activity

Posted by "Swindells, Thomas" <TS...@nds.com>.
Have you tried setting -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError to get a heap dump when the error occurs.

What is the actual exception stacktrace you got, not all out of memory errors are the same and the combination of these two things are far more informative about what is going wrong telling you what type of out of memory error occurred.

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

RE: ActiveMQ Memory Usage is going up when there is no activity

Posted by "Swindells, Thomas" <TS...@nds.com>.
I don't know about what active mq is increasing its memory but the GC behaviour you are seeing for java is perfectly normal. Java performs multiple different types of garbage collection. Generally it only performs quick basic GC cycles which purge out only easily detected objecst (the small sawtooths on the graph). Only when memory is getting overly full does it try more aggressive (and time consuming) GC cycles - or when you press the button on console.

In term of memory usage there are probably a whole load of temporary short lived objects which may accumulate over time even if there aren't any messages being sent, things such as log records (even if they aren't written to disk), keep alive messages, other housekeeping operations could all accumulate a backlog of objects that the gc doesn't bother to spend much effort on trying to tidy up until it needs to.

What I don't get is why you think you need help, are you actually experiencing any actual problems?

Thomas