Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/08 17:34:57 UTC

[C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Hi everyone,

Now M2 is finally available, we should start thinking about what we'd
like to do next in Tuscany C++. There were quite a few items that were
suggested for M2 that we ended up leaving out for time reasons and it
would be good to progress the function we have in M2.

Things I would like to do/see:
 - Add initial support for SDO handling in the Python extension (as an
XML serialization)
 - Remove requirement for componentType side-files for Python components
 - Get the PHP extension up to the level of the Ruby/Python extensions
- perhaps by using the SCA for PHP stuff
(http://www.osoa.org/display/PHP/SCA+with+PHP)
 - Improve the samples for the scripting languages (nebulous! does
anyone have any good ideas?)
 - A sample showing the different languages working together.
 - A standalone REST binding - we can do a limited REST via the
support in Axis2C, but I think it would be cool to have a real
binding.rest that we can host in HTTPD.

Please join in with your own thoughts/plans!

Cheers

Andy

Fwd: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
forwarding to dev-list

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Andrew Borley wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Now M2 is finally available, we should start thinking about what we'd
> like to do next in Tuscany C++. There were quite a few items that were
> suggested for M2 that we ended up leaving out for time reasons and it
> would be good to progress the function we have in M2.
>
> Things I would like to do/see:
> - Add initial support for SDO handling in the Python extension (as an
> XML serialization)
> - Remove requirement for componentType side-files for Python components
> - Get the PHP extension up to the level of the Ruby/Python extensions
> - perhaps by using the SCA for PHP stuff
> (http://www.osoa.org/display/PHP/SCA+with+PHP)
> - Improve the samples for the scripting languages (nebulous! does
> anyone have any good ideas?)
> - A sample showing the different languages working together.
> - A standalone REST binding - we can do a limited REST via the
> support in Axis2C, but I think it would be cool to have a real
> binding.rest that we can host in HTTPD.
>
> Please join in with your own thoughts/plans!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Simon C Nash   IBM Distinguished Engineer
Hursley Park, Winchester, UK   nash@hursley.ibm.com
Tel. +44-1962-815156   Fax +44-1962-818999

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

> Did someone say BSF C++ :)
>
>   ...ant

not intentionally!

--
Pete

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I like the idea of expanding the scripting language support to see where
> that takes us. It will be interesting to see if there is anything common
> the different scripting languages that can be distilled into a scripting
> "core"??
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Pete

Did someone say BSF C++ :)

   ...ant

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 08/11/06, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/06, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Now M2 is finally available, we should start thinking about what we'd
> > like to do next in Tuscany C++. There were quite a few items that were
> > suggested for M2 that we ended up leaving out for time reasons and it
> > would be good to progress the function we have in M2.
> >
> > Things I would like to do/see:
> > - Add initial support for SDO handling in the Python extension (as an
> > XML serialization)
> > - Remove requirement for componentType side-files for Python components
> > - Get the PHP extension up to the level of the Ruby/Python extensions
> > - perhaps by using the SCA for PHP stuff
> > (http://www.osoa.org/display/PHP/SCA+with+PHP)
> > - Improve the samples for the scripting languages (nebulous! does
> > anyone have any good ideas?)
> > - A sample showing the different languages working together.
> > - A standalone REST binding - we can do a limited REST via the
> > support in Axis2C, but I think it would be cool to have a real
> > binding.rest that we can host in HTTPD.
> >
> > Please join in with your own thoughts/plans!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Andy
>

> I'd like to give you a JavaScript extension supporting E4X.

Cool.

In fact I just
> downloaded MS Visual Studio express this morning with that in mind (can i
> used this to build everything on Windows?). No idea if it will happen as
> its
> been years since I did anything with C++. Expect to see a few newbie how
> build type questions ...
>
>    ...ant

VS Express is able to compile our code but you may notice a fair few
warnings (which we will get round to fixing).

I like the idea of expanding the scripting language support to see where
that takes us. It will be interesting to see if there is anything common to

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Judah Diament <jd...@gmail.com>.
yep - the gory details are at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx
 - VC++ Express was designed for .NET/CLR apps - to do native, you
need to hook it up to the platform SDK.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Excellent help, thanks Judah! I will try this tonight.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 08/11/06, Judah Diament <jd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> I am using the M2 src release. Here's what happens if I try to build
> SCA at the command line - the ant part goes fine, but then I get what
> you see below. SCA C++ itself builds in VC++ express, but the
> calculator sample doesn't. See my post from about an hour ago called
> "building C++ under windows" for the detailed build output from those
> anbd what blows up.

Sorry... I missed the other thread :-(

I'll respond on the other thread.

Cheers,
--
Pete

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Judah Diament <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pete,

I am using the M2 src release. Here's what happens if I try to build
SCA at the command line - the ant part goes fine, but then I get what
you see below. SCA C++ itself builds in VC++ express, but the
calculator sample doesn't. See my post from about an hour ago called
"building C++ under windows" for the detailed build output from those
anbd what blows up.

any ideas?

thanks!
Judah

cmd line output:

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 x86 tools.

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

Warning: cannot find "Build.dep"
        cd "..\tuscany_sca_ruby"
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" /
          /F .\tuscany_sca_ruby.mak CFG="tuscany_sca_ruby - Win32 Release"

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

Warning: cannot find "tuscany_sca_ruby.dep"
        cd "..\tuscany_sca"
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" /
          /F .\tuscany_sca.mak CFG="tuscany_sca - Win32 Release"

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

Warning: cannot find "tuscany_sca.dep"
        cl.exe /nologo /MD /W3 /GX /O2 /I "../../../runtime/core/src" /I "C:\jud
ah\work\tools\tuscany_sdo_cpp-1.0-incubator-M2-bin/include" /I "C:\judah\work\to
ols\axis2c-bin-0.94-win32/include" /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_MBC
S" /D "_USRDLL" /D "SCA_EXPORTS" /Fo".\Release\\" /Fd".\Release\\" /FD /c ..\..\
..\runtime\core\src\tuscany\sca\core\Operation.cpp
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GX' has been deprecated and will be re
moved in a future release
cl : Command line warning D9036 : use 'EHsc' instead of 'GX'
Operation.cpp
../../../runtime/core/src\tuscany/sca/util/Library.h(27) : fatal error C1083: Ca
nnot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\c
l.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\n
make.exe"' : return code '0x2'

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Judah.

> [...]

> > > (http://www.osoa.org/display/PHP/SCA+with+PHP)
> > > - Improve the samples for the scripting languages (nebulous! does
> > > anyone have any good ideas?)
> > > - A sample showing the different languages working together.
> > > - A standalone REST binding - we can do a limited REST via the
> > > support in Axis2C, but I think it would be cool to have a real
> > > binding.rest that we can host in HTTPD.
> > >
> > > Please join in with your own thoughts/plans!
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Andy
> >

> > I'd like to give you a JavaScript extension supporting E4X. In fact I
> just
> > downloaded MS Visual Studio express this morning with that in mind (can
> > used this to build everything on Windows?). No idea if it will happen as
> its
> > been years since I did anything with C++. Expect to see a few newbie how

Pete

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Judah Diament <jd...@gmail.com>.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [C++] Where next for Tuscany C++?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
That's a good list Sebastien!

On 11/11/06, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> > Andrew Borley wrote:

> we'd
> it

> an
> extensions

> scripting
> >>
> >> +1 it would be good to re-jig the tuscany::sca::model::ModelLoader
> >> class so that the loading/initialisation/wiring of composites can be
> >> done either via files (as it is now) or programmatically. This would
> >> allow extensions to define their composites via annotations, etc.

> API.
> >>
> >> This sounds like a good idea. These mash-up type applications would
> >> fit pretty well with SCA I'd say (should actually make them easier).

> >> Don't quite understand this - we can be hosted in Axis on HTTPD, and
> >> create a REST binding to be hosted on HTTPD. Does direct HTTPD hosting
> >> mean that SCA components can return HTML (or some other browser-usable
> >> data) that is returned by the HTTP call? Kind of a less-formal REST?
> >> Invoked via a call to
> >> http://server/sca/compositeName/componentName/methodName or something
> >> like that?

> >> Not yet! Feel free to update it!
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Hi, I'm catching up on this thread after some conference travel and
> > other work distractions.
> >
> > This all sounds like a pretty good plan! I'd like to add a few more
> > things...
> >
> > Runtime:
> > - Improvements to our exception handling (I ran into this when
> > preparing Tuscany demos for conferences, and could have used better
> > error reporting...)
> > - Utility classes to handle data conversions (instead of repeating
> > similar code in several extensions).
> > - Validation of an SCA composite with meaningful error messages.
> > - A single working Windows build with VC++ express 2005.

YES!!!! I've had enough of trying to maintain multiple ide projects. We can
document the steps needed if someone wishes to import the code to a VS IDE.

> > Hosting / deployment:
> > - Make the integration with Apache Httpd (behind mod_axis2) our
> > default hosting story, make sure it's easy to configure and deploy,
> > test it, document it, etc.
> > - RPM packages for our distributions to help installation on Linux
> > systems.
> >
> > Bindings:
> > - A Qpid binding.
> > - A real REST binding (using Httpd on the server and Curl or Serf on
> > the client), with support for cookies, Http headers etc.
> >
> > Samples:
> > - A sample showing how to turn existing C and/or C++ code into an SCA
> > component.
> > - Real world samples talking to Google search, Amazon, Yahoo, Ebay,
> > Amazon...
> > - A more distributed BigBank sample, with separate composites for
> > Account, AccountData, the mediation component in front of the
> > StockQuoteService, and a client UI.
> > - Complete the implementation of the WS-I SupplyChain scenario.
> >

> Forgot one more thing... build all the above on Mac OS-X.

I just ordered up a new iMac today ;-)

--
> Jean-Sebastien

Pete