Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/16 13:30:41 UTC

User information in 0.16.1 problems

Hi All

I've been upgrading from 0.15.3 to 0.16.1. I ran some tests in the local
mode (no HDFS). The tests perform some MapReduce jobs. I ran into the
following problems:

On Windows it complained that it does not find the 'whoami' command. Once I
fixed that, it did work. BUT, it didn't use to complain in 0.15.3.
On Linux, it had some problems with the 'id' command - "Failed to get the
current user's information: Login failed: id: cannot find name for group ID
1102921537" which it didn't use to in 0.15.3.

Both look related to getting user information.

My question is what has changed in 0.16.1 and whether there are new
requirements now for being able to submit jobs .

Thanks for any help,
Naama

--
oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo

Re: User information in 0.16.1 problems

Posted by Erwan Arzur <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

i was hit by the same issue. I have been able to run a MiniDFSCluster for my
own unit tests under windows by setting:

        conf.set ("hadoop.job.ugi", "hadoop,hadoop");

That forces UnixUserGroupInfo to use the specified user,group.

I think that UnixUserGroupInfo is not portable enough, even between unix (as
one user reports whoami cannot be found under Solaris).

Maybe using System.getProperty ("user.name") in the UnixUserGroupInformation
class would solve that specific problem and be more portable ?

That doesn't solve the groups listing which uses "bash -c groups" ... wow. I
know a few BOFHs who would try to bite anyone daring to install bash on
their boxes :-)

I am not too familiar with the intricacies of UnixUserGroupInfo & hadoop's
permissions, but maybe forcing to group "nobody" if the command fails would
work ?

Erwan