Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jame vaalet <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/30 08:40:52 UTC

optimum solr core size

Hi,
I have got singel core solr deployment in production and the documents are
getting added daily (around 1 million entries per week). My core size has
approached 123 GB, i would like to know what would be the optimum size of a
single core (not the number of docs but the size of the index file) to
start a new core.

--

-JAME

Re: optimum solr core size

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Jame,

That really depends on your hardware, query load and profile, search latency and other performance requirements.

That said, a 123 GB core is a pretty big core :)

Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spmĀ

Posted by pravesh <su...@yahoo.com>.
How many documents are there in the index? How many stored/indexed fields?
There is no magic number as yet for defining the size of a single
core(whether no. of docs OR the size of index), but 123GB seems to be on a
higher side, so, you could definitely go for sharding of indexes.

BTW, how are your searches/indexing performing over the time? Are there any
impact?

Regards
Pravesh