Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Andreas Otte <an...@primus-online.de> on 1999/01/04 20:40:03 UTC

mod_jserv/3624: Some installation problems with Apache JServ 1.0b1 on S.u.S.E. Linux 6.0

>Number:         3624
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Some installation problems with Apache JServ 1.0b1 on S.u.S.E. Linux 6.0
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.3 + Jserv 1.0b1
>Environment:
Server version: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) S.u.S.E./6.0 (Kernel 2.0.36)
Server built:   Dec 12 1998 02:36:48

(with DSO support)
S.u.S.E. has a somewhat distributed Apache-Installation:

The executables httpd and apsx reside in:

/usr/sbin/

The config files are in:

/etc/httpd/

The main installation (includes, ...) is in:

/usr/local/httpd/

The DSO-Modules are in:

/usr/libexec/apache/

This had some nasty consequences:

1) giving no apache-install-dir, configure did not complain about a missing
   apache-installation, despite the wrong default apache-dir. The module
   will simply not be build, but there are no messages regarding this.

2) giving /usr/local/httpd as apache-dir it complained that the apache
   did not have DSO support. This happend because it seems to me it looked
   for it using the path of apsx, but apxs is not in the tree of the
   apache-dir.

>How-To-Repeat:
Get S.u.S.E 6.0 (5.2 or 5.3 have the same problem) and try an installation.
>Fix:
I had to create /usr/local/httpd/sbin and put a link to /usr/sbin/apxs in it.
After that (and giving /usr/local/httpd as apache-dir) all went well. Some
afterwork was necessary to move mod_jserv.so to the right directory
(/usr/libexec/apache), it was installed in /usr/local/httpd/libexec.

I suggest that you support three different directorys (if you are not
already doing) or give at least some hints on how to set them.

- apache-dir
- apxs-path
- libexec-path

Very important is fixing 1). Please give some error messages if no
apache-dir is given and the default path is not used.