Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laura Speck <la...@actioncorp.biz> on 2009/03/16 13:27:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Hello,

I am getting an error trying to use the Include directive in my
httpd.conf. I am running apache2 on Fedora 9. My ServerRoot is
/etc/httpd, and my apache install is not chrooted.

I have a program that sends some servers a new httpd.virts every time we
have a dns change or a new domain. This file gets uploaded to
/home/backups/httpd.virts. I have added the line Include
/home/backups/httpd.virts to the end of my httpd.conf. httpd.virts is
readable by everyone, and /home/backups/ is executable by everyone.
However, when I try to restart apache, I get this error:

Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 349 of
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Could not open configuration file
/home/backups/httpd.virts: Permission denied

If I copy /home/backups/httpd.virts to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts, and
change the include line to Include /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.virts.. it
works fine. If I create a symbolic link to the
/home/backups/httpd.virts, apache still gives me the permission denied
error. I can't create a hard link as /home is a different partition from
/etc.

Also, I can read the file as another user, who shouldn't normally have
access to a file in someone else's home dir, but does because of the +x
on the dir and the +r on the file. So I don't think it's a permissions
problem..?

Is there a reason this is happening? Searching google hasn't given me
any results and the error logs aren't showing anything. There must be
something I am not thinking of. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Re: [users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Posted by Laura Speck <la...@actioncorp.biz>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Laura Speck wrote:
>> Thanks for the help - SELinux is enabled. Temporarily disabling it did
>> fix the problem, but I would like to keep it enabled. I am headed to
>> find an SELinux list, thank you :)
>
> In 5 years they've failed to participate with httpd in addressing such
> issues ... If you discover anything useful please do feel free to bring
> it back to dev@httpd to be addressed :-)

I didn't get as far as asking on a list, because I decided to try and
figure it out myself..

What I did work out is that the SElinux "permissions" (or whatever you
want to call them?) on the httpd.conf file were set with the type
"httpd_config_t", whereas everything in the home directories is set with
the type "user_home_dir_t"

I found this link:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-apache-fc3/sn-user-homedir.html

That link mentions changing the type of users' public_html dirs so that
httpd can access them. So I ended up changing the type of the
httpd.virts file to be the same as httpd.conf ("httpd_config_t"). It
works, I still have SElinux enabled (which is what I wanted). I am not
sure that this was the right way to do it, but it works and as far as I
can tell, is secure :)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I attended an SELinux talk at FOSDEM last month.
>
> Just to add, I wrote a brief blog entry at the time.
> I'd treat that as more reliable than what I wrote here from memory.
>
> http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/selinux/

I pretty much agree with the single comment on the blog :
"I typically just disable it. It’s always been a hassle."

As an off-the-hip comment, admittedly poorly informed because of the
above, I will add that to me SELinux has always looked like some
cover-your-ass addition dreamed up by some big company's marketing
department, so that they could claim to have "improved" Linux and made
it respectable in the corporate world.

Re: [users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Nick Kew wrote:

> FWIW, I attended an SELinux talk at FOSDEM last month.  The majority of
> all his examples were with our httpd.  In questions at the end, I
> stressed the need for decent tutorial documentation and for meaningful
> error messages when something is denied.  His reaction was pretty
> negative ("unlikely to happen"), and others around the room seemed
> pretty negative about any likelihood of anything improving and
> supported a "selinux is the enemy" view.

On a positive note, the popup information under Fedora 10 bleeding kernels
have become much more interesting than the classic failure messages.  But
I have no desire to play 'fetch me a rock' so I haven't had much interest
in fighting with SELinux until someone active with SELinux and httpd comes
forward with recommended changes.

Re: [users@httpd] Include directive in httpd.conf giving a Permission denied error.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.