Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/11/02 20:37:02 UTC

Re: broken fragment of apache-1.3/htdocs/manual/

[ cleaning out an mbox and ran into this; not trimming the message since
  this is so old... ]

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:10:22AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apache-1.3/htdocs/manual/Attic/install-tpf.html?hideattic=0
>
> Remembering that we keep docs in httpd-docs-1.3, and that this tree
> *should* have been empty of 'live' files, there was something really
> troubling in the Apache 1.3 tree.
>
> That file, install-tpf.html, was resurrected from the Attic about 7 months
> after we liquidated the apache-1.3 copies of htdocs.  It was again
> revised 11 months ago.
>
> Since it was revised, cvs rtag was tagging that file, as a live file, because
> it didn't actually contain the deleted status.  So this file was tagged (but
> never distributed) with the 1.3.25, .26 and .27 files.
>
> Apparently someone simply 'moved' install-tpf.html,v from
> htdocs/manual/ straight into htdocs/manual/Attic/, which doesn't work.
>
> Now that I have removed the APACHE_1_3_25, _26 and _27 tags, cvs
> checkouts should be clean once again.  But anyone checking out by
> date between 3/12/2001 and today would get this oddball file mucking
> up their attempt to check out httpd-docs-1.3 into the same tree.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion of how to correctly axe rev 1.11, 1.12
> and 1.13 so that we return to the 1.10 revision removed on 7/15/2000?
> I'm wondering if there is a cvs admin option to do so, but it's well beyond
> my ken and karma.

You can mark those revisions as "dead". It would be something like:

$ cvs admin -s dead:1.11 install-tpf.html
$ cvs admin -s dead:1.12 install-tpf.html
$ cvs admin -s dead:1.13 install-tpf.html

That should do the trick. When using 'cvs admin', it isn't a bad idea to
make a backup of the ,v file just in case; a little flub-fingering can
really mess up the file.

(of course, I happen to know a version control system that doesn't allow
 people to move ,v files straight out of the Attic ... :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/