Posted to user@trafodion.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/05 22:57:10 UTC

Trafodion Runtime Security

Hi,

I'm trying to document introductory-level security requirements for
Trafodion, both runtime and during provisining
(installation/upgrade/resizing/removal).

This is what I have for runtime:

The `trafodion:trafodion` user ID is created as part of the installation
process. Trafodion runs under this ID, which must be
registered as a user in the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) to store
and access objects in HDFS, HBase, and Hive.
In addition, the `trafodion` user ID required passwordless access among the
nodes where Trafodion is installed to run cross-node Trafodion functions
such as scripts.

Trafodion requires that either HDFS ACLs or Kerberos is enabled.

Trafodion users are managed by the Trafodion SQL security features (grant,
revoke, etc.), which can be integrated with LDAP if so desired.
These users are referred to as *database users* and do not have direct
access to the operating system.

What did I miss? What did I get wrong?

Gunnar

RE: Trafodion Runtime Security

Posted by "D. Markt" <dm...@gmail.com>.
  Are you asking about accessing HDFS files or something else?  If it’s the former then yes they do work.  But just like with Linux files it all depends on having users in groups.  Otherwise if hbase owns the files and trafodion isn’t part of the same group the access options are limited.  That is, either every user has the same access as trafodion via the “other” bits or you have to use ACLs to give trafodion access if the access will be via the trafodion userid.  Trafodion tables are owned by the hbase userid but there appears to be cases when the process accessing some HDFS files use the trafodion userid.

--Dennis

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Qifan Chen <qi...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.