Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au> on 2005/05/24 03:15:31 UTC

Inventory of assets

The wealth of ideas that are coming to the table is impressive.

I suggest that we establish some sort of inventory of our "assets"
(presumably on the wiki).  I think that such a resource will be
enormously helpful to a project like this one which is trying to bring
together a huge pool of enthusiasm, prior work and outstanding
research.  If this project could produce a VM that literally combined
the best of all of the work at the table, it would be a formidable VM
indeed.

By "assets", I mean everything from the concrete (donated code), to the
more abstract (resources such as papers like the one Andy posted to the
list yesterday).  I think that if we maintain this as we go along, it
could prove to be a really valuable resource.  To me this is our
strength---so many different individuals bringing different expertise to
the project, from code to ideas.  If we can catalog that wealth and
therefore have it at our collective fingertips, I think the chances of
this project capitalizing on those ideas and doing really exciting
things will increase greatly.

I can imagine a tree like structure, with leaves on the tree being
assets, each one described briefly---if code, then the level of
availability and license, and perhaps a summary with pointers to more
info.  If a paper, then a short summary and a pointer, etc etc etc.  For
example, I think all of the VMs we're aware of should be leaves of a VM
node in the tree.  The Boehm collector adn MMTk are obvious leaves of
the VM.GC node.  The paper Andy raised could be added to
VM.interpreter.  It may in fact be a graph, with, JamVM, for example
getting a mention under VM.interpreter as well as VM and OVM could be
under VM and VM.java-in-java, etc etc etc.  In a relatively short period
of time, this could become a great repository of the state of the art in
VM design and implementation.

It may then be that the technical FAQ simply becomes a set of references
to the inventory of ideas.

--Steve

Re: Inventory of assets

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 23, 2005, at 9:15 PM, Steve Blackburn wrote:

> The wealth of ideas that are coming to the table is impressive.
>
> I suggest that we establish some sort of inventory of our
> "assets" (presumably on the wiki).  I think that such a resource
> will be enormously helpful to a project like this one which is
> trying to bring together a huge pool of enthusiasm, prior work and
> outstanding research.  If this project could produce a VM that
> literally combined the best of all of the work at the table, it
> would be a formidable VM indeed.
>
> By "assets", I mean everything from the concrete (donated code), to
> the more abstract (resources such as papers like the one Andy
> posted to the list yesterday).  I think that if we maintain this as
> we go along, it could prove to be a really valuable resource.  To
> me this is our strength---so many different individuals bringing
> different expertise to the project, from code to ideas.  If we can
> catalog that wealth and therefore have it at our collective
> fingertips, I think the chances of this project capitalizing on
> those ideas and doing really exciting things will increase greatly.
>
> I can imagine a tree like structure, with leaves on the tree being
> assets, each one described briefly---if code, then the level of
> availability and license, and perhaps a summary with pointers to
> more info.  If a paper, then a short summary and a pointer, etc etc
> etc.  For example, I think all of the VMs we're aware of should be
> leaves of a VM node in the tree.  The Boehm collector adn MMTk are
> obvious leaves of the VM.GC node.  The paper Andy raised could be
> added to VM.interpreter.  It may in fact be a graph, with, JamVM,
> for example getting a mention under VM.interpreter as well as VM
> and OVM could be under VM and VM.java-in-java, etc etc etc.  In a
> relatively short period of time, this could become a great
> repository of the state of the art in VM design and implementation.
>
> It may then be that the technical FAQ simply becomes a set of
> references to the inventory of ideas.

I thought we were already doing this.

Feel free to reorganize in a way that you see adds value.  Whatever
way you set will probably be the way we go forward. :)

geir

geirm@apache.org