Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by "Quinn, Shannon P" <sq...@gatech.edu> on 2008/06/13 01:02:04 UTC

Integrate Shindig with Joomla

Hello all,

I apologize for spamming the list - I dug through the archives and perused the website, but couldn't really find a central point of contact for the project, so as long as I can converse with one person, the rest of you are free to ignore me. :P

My name is Shannon.  I am participating in the 2008 rendition of GSoC, working with the Joomla CMS community to make it an OpenSocial container.  However, after several conversations with my Joomla advisor, and several looks back at some of the other GSoC projects I'd almost applied for, Shindig captured our attention for many reasons.

I was wondering if I could be a bit more present in this community by way of working to make Joomla an OpenSocial container through integrating it with Shindig.  I know there is currently an issue of licensing - Joomla uses the GPLv2 license, which is incompatible with the Apache 2.0 license.  However, I understand that Joomla will be moving to GPLv3 very soon, which is apparently much friendlier with Apache's license.

That's pretty much my shpiel.  Feedback, comments, and general suggestions are very much much welcome; in fact, I'd love to hear back with thoughts from anyone.  Any direction from the experts is appreciated!

Thank you!

Regards,
Shannon Quinn

--
Shannon Quinn
College of Computing

Re: Integrate Shindig with Joomla

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hey Shannon!

Don't worry that's one of the reasons this list exists, so that people
can ask questions about shindig. So don't hesitate Ok, we'd be happy
to help!

Will be cool to see a Open Social enabled Joomla, gadgets and social
gadgets make a lot of sense for a Content Management System where you
want to drop in functionality into your pages, it's almost a natural
extension.. so i can imagine it's a fun project to work on :)

As far as licensing goes, this piece does mention that the Apache
license and GPLv3 license are compatible: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=331
  so i hope that would make direct integration possible for you in the
near future.

Until that time you could use the metadata service to get started. You
would take the metadata service to retrieve your gadget's metadata
(title, author, gallery thumbnail, etc etc), and use the iframe it
returns to you to put the actual gadget in the site ... this way the
shindig server and Joomla are completely separated and connected by a
common API, an action which isn't affected by either licenses.

Since your probably using Shindig PHP (since Joomla is written in PHP
too), i think you'll find Partuza a useful code example, it uses the
metadata service (though it creates it's own iframe's in the
templates), has most of the UI bits you would have to make to become
an 'open social container', and implements the custom data handlers
you need to create to connect shindig to your data back end.

So as far as directions on how to start go my suggestion would be to:

1) Set up shindig php and partuza on your server (or local machine).
If your (un)fortunate enough to run a windows box i wrote 2 guides
here that walk you through this process:
http://www.chabotc.com/generic/setting-up-shindig-and-partuza-on-windows/

If not, i hope your capable enough with your platform to figure it out
(if you know how apache vhosts and php modules work it's not so
difficult, if you do run into trouble feel free to ask)

2) Check out partuza's code and how it uses shindig through the
metadata service, how it builds iframe's (Views/gadget/gadget.php is
the main file for this), what param's are required for this iframe and
how to create a security token that the social data server uses to
retrieve the owner, viewer, app id, etc. This should hopefully give
you something of a clear picture how to reproduce this in Joomla

3) Check out the data handlers in partuza/Shindig/*.php, you'll have
to make a Joomla implementation of these to connect the gadgets to
your backend..

4) Start coding & have fun!

Ps, there's a lot of other concepts you'll have to get aquianted too,
like 'activities', 'app data', 'views' etc ... just wade through the
documentation and examples to get a feel for this.

We did a bit of a talk about shindig at the google io btw that you can
view online (only was posted today so good timing) that provides a
slight bit of information about it too:
http://sites.google.com/site/io/apache-shindig-make-your-social-site-an-opensocial-container

Welcome to Shindig & let us know if we can be of assistance!

	-- Chris

Posted by Brad Defnall <bd...@gmail.com>.
I have experience with joomla and its codebase.  I second the notion of a
blackbox shindig deployment.... I wouldn't attempt to merge their codebases
at all,  or even run the two in the same container.  I'd run shindig on
another server.

You could put an OAuth agent on the web tier (joomla side) to aid with user
authorization to shindig, and maintain joomla's user registration and
authentication/authorization.

That's just my opinion, it's only worth what you paid for it ;)

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.
Hey Chris:

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hey John! Hows things?

An brief discussion about this can be found here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=331

With even a specific mention of the GPLv3 and APLv2:

"The FSF has stated explicitly that Apache 2.0 is compatible with
GPLv3. I asked Apache if they could confirm. “Yes,” wrote Justin

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.
Hi Shannon:

We're always happy to welcome a new OpenSocial and gadgets container into
the mix, and Joomla looks like an interesting way to create whole sets of
them. From a superficial read of the Joomla site (joomla.org), a few
integration points might be:
* Ability to add a gadget to an arbitrary Joomla "page"
  - with fixed configuration (UserPrefs) or user-defined
* Ability to add an "add gadget to this page" control to any Joomla "page"
  - Allows any arbitrary gadget, or set thereof, to be added to the page
* To the extent that Joomla knows about the concept of "users" and how
they're related to one another, providing Joomla-linked implementations of
Person, Activity, and AppData handlers for the OpenSocial APIs. These in
turn would be integrated into a running instance of the Shindig RESTful
server and make the above gadget(s) into OpenSocial Apps relevant to the
Joomla context.

Note that to do any of these, the code bases don't need to merge -- Joomla
can happily be a client or extension of OpenSocial/gadgets by using Shindig
code or by building the container pieces itself. This is advisable since it
keeps the mission of each product focused. Also, Shindig's license allows
you to copy code into your codebase (raw or as JARs)... probably
container-related code (mostly JavaScript) if anything.

Could you say more about Joomla and how you see it working with - or
extended by - Shindig's implementation of OpenSocial and gadgets?

Welcome to Shindig!
--John