Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro> on 2007/08/14 09:38:55 UTC

Wicket-1.3-beta2 validation (conversion) bug?

After migrating from wicket-1.2.6 to wicket-1.3.0-beta2 I had the following
problem:

application throws ConversionException when trying to convert a null value
of the Textfield wich is disabled on the clientside.

I've take a look on the convert() method of the FormComponent class and
noticed the difference from the 1.2.x branch which may cause the issue:

This snippet of code is from 1.3.0-beta2
[CODE]
if (typeName == null) {
  //string conversion code
} else {
  //type conversion code
}
[/CODE]

This snippet of code is from 1.2.6
[CODE]
if (type == null) {
  //string conversion code
} else if (!Strings.isEmpty(getInput())) {
  //type conversion code
}
[/CODE]

As you can see, in the 1.3.0-beta2 version, the conversion does not check if
the getInput() is an empty string before performing type conversion. I
wonder if it is a bug, or it is something that I missed?

Thank you!
Alex

Re: Wicket-1.3-beta2 validation (conversion) bug?

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.
I'm very curious why the check was removed.
Anyway, is it possible to update the ENABLED flag of the form component on
submit by checking if the "disabled" attribute is present in the markup?

I'm still not sure if there is something I can do about this, or it is the
wicket bug that should be fixed... :(

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 8/27/07, Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro> wrote:

> Maybe we can find a compromise regarding this issue?

how about you create a quickstart that demonstrates this, and then we can
play around with it and see what we can come up with.

-igor

Re: Wicket-1.3-beta2 validation (conversion) bug?

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.

> i dont think this is needed. your custom converter should include a null
> check.

But I do not use custom converter. In my case it is about a simple String or
Integer or whatever...
So, you suggest to create a custom converter for each case where I disable
the form component on the server-side?

Also, keeping in sync client-side with server-side, means that I need to
make an ajax round-trip just to update the field disable state on the
server.. IMO it is unnecessary overhead.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 8/26/07, Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro> wrote:

> PROS:
> * In a usecase where a field is disabled on the clientside (this means
> that
> the disabled field is null) the application will throw the
> ConversionException when trying to convert a null value.

i do not think this is a valid argument. wicket keeps severside state, and
one of the requirements is that serverside state is in sync with client side
state. that means that component should be disabled on the serverside as
well - and when it is it will not attempt to process input - which is what
should really happen.

  A workaround for this issue is: instead of disabling the field, make it
> readonly. BUT there is another problem: there are form components which
> cannot have readonly state on some browsers (for instance SELECT in IE).
> So
> the workaround is not suitable for all situations.

i dont think this is needed. your custom converter should include a null
check.

* It worked this way in wicket-1.2.x branch

i will buy that. but what we have done is created room for a new usecase -
converting null input to a non-null object. 1.2.6 didnt support that.
jonathan are you reading with us? what exactly was your usecase?

* IMHO conversion of null to null is a natural conversion.

apparently not _that_ natural, at least one someone had a usecase where it
wasnt.

-igor

CONS:

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.