Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de> on 2000/11/30 15:39:41 UTC

RE: Now, am I stupid or what? - C compilers

Borland compilers are usually quite good (I worked many years with Borland
products). OTOH, while the old C compilers were very good, I had some
problems once using a previous version of C++ Builder (version 2 or 3, I
am not sure anymore).

However, those could be instabilities caused by new extensions that Borland
added to the language and this is already the version 5 compiler. Borland
does not let bugs stay in their products forever (at least not as much as
M$ does).

Notice that this compiler:
 - is FREE;
 - is able to compile MFC, ANSI C++, ANSI C and other flavours (I once used
   C++ Builder to develop stuff that I later compiled in Linux);
 - Turbo Debugger, an excellent debugger that can be used with it, is
   available for free too.

So, it has very nice characteristics to become a good compiler for Apache C
code. Maybe for the Apache server too.

Well, I guess the better that I can do is download it, try it on Apache
stuff and then come back with the results. If some one should do it, might
as well be me.

Have fun,
Paulo gaspar

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de> wrote:

> [... About Borland C compiler]
> Well, I guess the better that I can do is download it, try it on Apache
> stuff and then come back with the results. If some one should do it, might
> as well be me.

Way cool :) Thanks!

    Pier

--
Pier P. Fumagalli  Apache Software Foundation  <ma...@betaversion.org>
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur,

RE: Now, am I stupid or what? - C compilers

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
BTW, the free Borland compiler and command line tools is also
just 8.5 MB big - quite modest for what it is!

Have fun,
Paulo