Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2015/02/05 22:58:10 UTC

Installer MD5 errors

HI,

We usually get zero or occasionally a couple FP SDK MD5 failures/day, but yesterday we got 111. It's reasonable to assume than 100+ of them are due to Adobe releasing new player globals and our MD5 hashes being out of date. I think it would be sensible to make the MD5 failure check non fatal but warn the user and continue with the install process as it seems the majority of the installer failures of this type are false positives.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Installer MD5 errors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> At one point, we discussed having future install scripts pull the MD5 for
> FP/AIR from one of our CI servers.

I've just checked how often the issue occurs and in the last month I can only find 1 instance of global player swc that is likely to be related to a bad download. Larger downloads the Flex SDK and AIR may have slightly higher error rates I'll look further into it. But it looks tome as if we actually aborting a large number of valid installs for something that only occurs very infrequently.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Installer MD5 errors

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/5/15, 3:23 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Did the MD5 checker job fail to notice something ?
>>
>>http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/MD5Checker/lastSuccessfulBui
>>ld/console
>
>It noticed it just that between it happening, it noticing and  notifying
>the list and the issue being fixed a lot of people couldn't installer the
>SDK with FP/AIR 16 (the default).

At one point, we discussed having future install scripts pull the MD5 for
FP/AIR from one of our CI servers.  MD5Checker would leave the MD5’s in
files in last successful build artifacts and the install scripts would
look there.  Then the gap would close to however long it takes between
MD5Checker runs.  It currently runs on the hour, but if it gets behind a
flex-sdk-release build it can go longer.

-Alex

Re: Installer MD5 errors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,