Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Thiwanka Somasiri <as...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/26 08:09:16 UTC

How to count the number of columns in a table.

Hi,
        How can I count the number of columns in a table using an "ij"
command?
Thanks.

--

Regards

A.S.Thiwanka Somasiri
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

Skype : executionerwild
MSN   : thiwas@ymail.com

Re: How to count the number of columns in a table.

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
>          How can I count the number of columns in a table using an "ij"

You could query the system catalogs. Something like:

select count(*) from SYS.SYSTABLES, SYS.SYSCOLUMNS
        where SYS.SYSTABLES.TABLEID=SYS.SYSCOLUMNS.REFERENCEID
          and SYS.SYSTABLES.TABLENAME = 'MY-TABLE-NAME';

thanks,

bryan