Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com> on 2007/01/11 18:40:36 UTC

RAD (was Re: Input modules samples broken in trunk)

On Jan 11, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> I described how to use Eclipse as that is what I have experience with.
> But if you can ensure that the Maven Jetty plugin gets the blocks as
> directories rather than jars at its classpath, that should work as
> well.

That was going to be my next question... :-)

One of my clients has other people who work on Cocoon web sites that I
create.  They do content updates, and one of them can do some CSS and a
few elementary things  in XSLT to tweak the site layout/styling.  But
these are pretty much non-technical peeps; for them Eclipse is a
chewing gum [1].  And they don't know how to build these webapps on
their own computers and run them locally, that's just beyond them.
They work by remotely editing files in place in a development instance
of the application running up on a server.  Then, one of them I've
taught how to do svn commits from dev and then update into the
production instance (sometimes it gets botched and I have to go clean
up a subversion mess by hand, but 95% of the time this works OK).

So to move these apps forward to 2.2, I will need a no-brainer way for
them to make live changes on the development instance in a server
environment.  But I think now that I understand all about what we're
discussing here [2], I will probably end up keeping root-level
application resources directly in the webapp module instead of
servletizing them in a separate block.  I think that will take care of
most of our issues.

[1] - http://www.wrigley.com/wrigley/products/products_eclipse.asp
[2] - sorry, no reference for discussion thread "every new webapp a
block?" — I can't find it on marc.theaimsgroup.com for some reason?

thx,
—ml—