Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jeff Zemerick <jz...@apache.org> on 2022/11/10 15:27:05 UTC

OpenNLP 2.1.0 Release Helper Guide

Hi all,

To help with validating releases, I would like the project to have a
documented list of common release validation steps that can be referenced
in the VOTE email.

Here's a draft of a guide for the 2.1.0 release. Please feel free to
suggest changes to it. Perhaps we can make the finished version a page on
the OpenNLP website.

And just a reminder, everyone is welcome to vote. Only PMC votes are
binding, but everyone's validating of the release is super beneficial to
the community.

Thanks,
Jeff

# Download the artifacts.
wget
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopennlp-1030/org/apache/opennlp/opennlp-distr/2.1.0/opennlp-distr-2.1.0-bin.zip.asc
wget
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopennlp-1030/org/apache/opennlp/opennlp-distr/2.1.0/opennlp-distr-2.1.0-bin.zip

# Download the latest KEYS file:
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/opennlp/KEYS

# Import the keys file:
gpg --import KEYS

# Verify the signature of the downloaded zip file.
gpg --verify -v opennlp-distr-2.1.0-bin.zip.asc

# Next, unzip the archive file and verify the contents of the LICENSE,
NOTICE, and README.md files.
unzip opennlp-distr-2.1.0-bin.zip

# Clone the repository.
git clone https://github.com/apache/opennlp.git

# Change to the release tag mentioned in the VOTE email.
cd opennlp && git checkout opennlp-2.1.0

# Build and run the unit tests.
mvn clean package

# Send a reply to the VOTE thread indicating a +1, 0, -1.

Re: OpenNLP 2.1.0 Release Helper Guide

Posted by Richard Zowalla <ri...@zowalla.com>.
Hi Jeff,

I like the guide. It helps peope to verify the asc signatures and
conduct some basic checks.

It would be good to include some links / references to resources in
order to run the "eval" tests locally, too. Perhaps it is already
documented somewhere, but a cross-reference on how to obtain the
required resources / datasets would certainly help.

I am also wondering, if we could setup a CI/CD pipeline in Jenkins (or
similar) to run the eval tests on a daily/weekly/per-commit basis?
Perhaps that would reduce the verification steps needed? Wdyt?

Gruß
Richard