Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Andrew McMurry <an...@invitae.com> on 2013/12/21 02:01:38 UTC

cTAKES Virtual Machine update

"Eating your own dog food"

I've bundled a NLP appliance containing UMLS and cTAKES and I'm migrating services to the AWS cloud.
Throughout this process I have extensively documented the steps and I made a VM target for Ubuntu 13.04.

I would have used the iDASH appliance but it is no longer maintained and was way out of date.
From conversations and experiences witth iDASH and NCBO bioportal I strongly support a VM option for cTAKES downloads.

Suggestions

#[ 1 ] Public demo server (instance of VM)
For new users, this is the "hook" that motivates them to get involved BEFORE licensing and install.
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator

#[ 2 ] Downloading the public demo server is power !
http://nlp-ecosystem.ucsd.edu/
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/virtual_appliance

#[ 3 ] Example code for each cTAKES component is game changing

cTAKES has an impressive set of components, but no way to try them out.
http://ctakes.apache.org/components.html

Whereas you can play with the components of Bioportal, for example
http://data.bioontology.org/documentation

I'm sharing these experiences and suggestions because I truly do believe they are crucial and likely more important than any level of new-features that can be added.

Hoping this message finds you well.
I will soon circulate a copy of a VM to play around with and get feedback.

Thoughts?

--AndyMC

Re: cTAKES Virtual Machine update

Posted by Joshua Weiner <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

I know this is probably a dumb question but I can't for the life of me
figure it out. I finally got a UMLS username and password, but I don't
think I am updating the BAT files correctly... here is what I did: note my
username is joshuaweiner2 and my password (for this example) is mypasswordd
(see below).... I now can't get the CVD to run.  my error is:
Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.uima.tools.cvd.CVD

Thank you for your help...

:okHome
cd %CTAKES_HOME%
java -Dctakes.umlsuser=joshuawiener2 -Dctakes.umlspw=<mypasswordd -cp
"%CTAKES_HOME%/lib/*;%CTAKES_HOME%/desc/;%CTAKES_HOME%/resources/"
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/%CTAKES_HOME%/config/log4j.xml -Xms512M
-Xmx1024M org.apache.uima.tools.cvd.CVD

:end

--
Joshua S. Weiner