Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Crest.Boy" <ws...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2009/05/31 09:17:02 UTC

Ask for guide for saving multilingual character in Derby

Hi Guys:

I am one new comer for derby. I tried many times but failed in saving
multilingual characters in Derby.
I get ? when I want to save Chinese characters.

Who can provide one simple guide to save multilingual characters in Derby?
It is better to show me step by step.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Ask for guide for saving multilingual character in Derby

Posted by "Crest.Boy" <ws...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Yes, I do agree with you. It should be caused by code-page. I tried, it works
now. Thanks a lot.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Crest.Boy wrote:
> Hi Guys: I am one new comer for derby. I tried many times but failed
> in saving multilingual characters in Derby. I get ? when I want to
> save Chinese characters. Who can provide one simple guide to save
> multilingual characters in Derby? It is better to show me step by
> step. Thanks a lot in advance!
> character in Derby
> <http://www.nabble.com/Ask-for-guide-for-saving-multilingual-character-in-Derby-tp23800505p23800505.html>
> Sent from the Apache Derby Users mailing list archive
> <http://www.nabble.com/Apache-Derby-Users-f93.html> at Nabble.com.
Hello,

Derby's character datatypes are represented internally as Java strings.
That means that they are sequences of 2-byte unicode characters and are
therefore multilingual. If you insert character data into a Derby column
and select it later, you will retrieve from the database exactly what
you put into it.

It is hard to say anything more without knowing what experiments are
failing for you. We could probably give you some more advice if you
could share more information about those experiments.

Thanks,
-Rick