Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Robert <ca...@linuxmail.org> on 2004/04/27 23:55:12 UTC

Hibernate or Cayenne?

I am just curious as to which data persistence layer you guys are using
and why?

Robert

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Cherry Development <av...@cherrydev.com>.
I have a question for you about Cayenne, not having used it.  I'm in
the process of looking it over, though.  I just finished a project
using Hibernate, though.
I am making a distributed EJB application in which business objects
will be loaded on the application server, sent to a remote client,
manipulated, sent back to the application server, and re-persisted.  In
Hibernate, this is problematic because of all of the 'magic' that
Hibernate does to your objects in terms of class enhancement and
proxies in order to make your classes behave 'transparently'.

In your experience, how easy is it to use Cayenne in this way?  I can't
find much about EJB on the cayenne web site other than the EJB example,
which doesn't tell me much.  Is there anyone you could refer me to
about these issues?

Thanks
Avi Cherry

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by "j. mammen" <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Eric, it answers my question. Also I am tempted to use Cayenne because of
the modeler. Excellent product.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
j,

Every object entity has three panels associated with it in the modeler.  The
left most tab labeled "Entity" has an ObjEntity Configuration section.
Under it, there are text fields where you can enter "ObjEntity Name", "Java
Class", and "Superclass".

If you enter a value in the "Superclass" field, this will be the wedge class
that your entities will extend.  Of course, you have to implement this class
yourself (the modeler will not generate it for you like the entity auto
classes).

If you have more questions, please feel free to email me personally.  Or
move it over to the Cayenne list if you prefer.

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by "j. mammen" <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Eric,

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
j,

> Only comment I have about Cayenne is that all buisness objects has to
extend
> org.objectstyle.cayenne.CayenneDataObject. This may become a problem in a
> complex inheritance structure

I'm assuming you mean entity classes are "business objects".  If this is the
case, what you say is not true.   You can wedge any business class in
between your entity classes and CayenneDataObject.  This is very common in
Cayenne projects and can be easily setup in the modeler.    Let me know if
you need clarification on how to do this.

eric

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by "j.mammen" <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Cayenne has something very similar.  It's not a "syncing" plugin in eclipse,
but a Ant task bundled with Cayenne that examines the map file for changes
(that you'd make in the modeler) and regenerates your entity superclasses
when needed.  It insures your project is always up-to-date with your model.
This Ant task is usually included as a dependency in the project's normal
build.  It's fairly straightforward.

eric

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>.
Cayenne has a Modeller and some other stuff.

-Filip S. Adamsen

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

RE: Palette Width

Posted by Perry Q Hertler <pe...@yahoo.com>.
I should have mentioned in my original post that I
have tried what is in the documentation with no
success.  However, I have tried what I suggested and
it does work.

--- "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>

http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/api/org/apache/tapestry/contrib/palet

RE: Palette Width

Palette Width

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
Eric,

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Colin,

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Alex Khilov <kh...@ukr.net>.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Robert <ca...@linuxmail.org>.
Andy Hutchinson wrote:
> At 11:42 28/04/2004, Robert wrote:
>
>> Eric Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, there seems to be a lot of experience on this list with both O/R
>>> frameworks.  You want have problems finding help with either.
>>> Good luck,
>>> Eric
>>
>> Thanks Eric, I read the archives. I think I am going to go with
>> Cayenne. I will run with it for a bit to test its legs.
>

> Could I ask what made you choose Cayenne?

I have a friend who is using it and is a ready store of information for
me.  : )

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Andy Hutchinson <an...@extensible.co.uk>.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Robert <ca...@linuxmail.org>.

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?

Posted by Robert <ca...@linuxmail.org>.
Eric Schneider wrote:

> Just do a search of the archives.   There have been numerous posts on this
> topic.
>
> Eric

Will do!

Re: Hibernate or Cayenne?