Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jiang ying <jc...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/02 07:25:24 UTC

WHY TOMCAT MEMORY FROM 1G TO 15M IN 10 MINUTES

    Hi.
    When I run the TPCW bookstore application, I found the server behave
erratic.
    Experiment enviroment:
    Hardware: a client PC, two server PCs. Each PC has two 1.59 GHz AMD
Opteron, 2GB RAM, and a 30 GB disk. One server machine runs theWeb server
and application server software, while the other contains the database. All
the machines run 2.4 Linux Kernel and are connected through a LAN of
1000Mb/s.
    Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.12
    Database: mysql 5.0.18
    Client Workload Generator: the freely available Java TPC-W
implementation developed by the PHARM research group at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison http://www.ece.wisc.edu/~pharm/tpcw.shtml
    The file descriptor limit has been increased to 8192.
    The maxconnection of Tomcat is 1000.
    To solve the heap exception of Tomcat, JAVA_OPTS='-Xms256m -Xmx256m' is
set.
    Q1: When I emulate 100 EBs ( the command line: java rbe.RBE -EB
rbe.EBTPCW1Factory 400 -OUT run1.m -RU 100 -MI 600 -RD 100 -WWW
http://tomcatserver:8080/ -CUST 288000 -DEBUG 2") , the tomcat memory drops
severly from 1G to 15M.
    Could anyone kindly tell me why the tomcat cosumes so much memory?
    Thank you.

                                               yours cylinder

Re: WHY TOMCAT MEMORY FROM 1G TO 15M IN 10 MINUTES

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
JAVA_OPTS='-Xms256m -Xmx256m' <-- your tomcat memory should never reach
1G with this parameter!
the tomcat memory drops severly from 1G to 15M <-- do you mean tomcat
memory usage or tomcat free memory?

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
I would consider 15M pretty low. If the memory drops,what problem are
you having? Sounds like it would be worse going the other way.